Question conflicting Info driving 28' pup single would limit my opportunities (just out of school)

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Trax778, May 9, 2019.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    they sometimes ask, trailer length, miles driven for each trailer, sometimes percentages of day time/night time driving...

A.Duie Pyle when i applied, had wanted to know day time/night time, percentages

Numb Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Yeah when I do the USPS gig, I back into docks 6 to 8 times per night, thats more than a months worth of docking at say Legend Transport running Houston.

4. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Might end up pulling doubles too. It's good experience and a place to network for future opportunities. Probably pays by the hr. What's there not to like.

5. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Learn how to hook 2 short trailers together and you're in a different league altogether than the people telling you that you have no future pulling a short trailer.

I believe that city and local work is where every new driver should start out and gain a skill set before they hit the highway.
    Gain experience backing up, maneuver, load, unload, shift gears, pull a variety of different trailers, then send them out on the highway to unfamiliar territories better equipped to deal with so many different scenarios.

If you can back a short trailer with no problems, a longer trailer will be easier.
    I can say this for certain because I've pulled a lot of short trailers and pup combos, 6 7 8 9 axle A and B trains, (decks, vans, reefers), and when I went back to a straight trailer it was almost too easy.
    Only thing I had to remember was to swing a little wider for the corners and which way to turn the steering wheel when backing up, caught myself a couple times backing a long trailer and turning the wheel the wrong direction because I got so used to backing a B train at my previous job.

I know a young driver who graduated from a truck driving school and went straight to the highway who didn't like the hours and away from home time and wound up working a local job which he thought would be a breeze.
    He got into all kinds of situations he wasn't prepared for, real tight places that required near perfect positioning before backing into, he made many mistakes because of his lack of basic skills, he got fired from several jobs and wound up giving up his trucking career.

Stick with it, experience is experience, don't listen to any trucker with less than 5 years experience, even then take what they say with a grain of salt because they're still greenhorns.
    After 5 years you should have a solid skillset and begin to understand what a real professional driver is, someone who can walk into nearly any trucking operation and get a good job.

wis bang Thanks this.
  6. Trax778

Trax778 Bobtail Member

May 9, 2019
    That is pretty much what I was thinking companies get too greedy and push people into bad situations instead of taking the time to develop them properly. There are reasons the proper way is mostly un-workable but it is still shortsightedly contributing to the new driver failure rate that hurts everyone in the end and which I am determined to avoid.

I start the gig tonight its decent money so I think I will stick with it and stay on the safe side for a while. Thanks everyone for helping me make the right decision and confirming my thoughts.

Keep on truckin!

homeskillet Thanks this.
  7. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    I say do not worry in the least and take the job. But beware that they usually send these short trailers to absolute worst places where 53 or 40 footers would not go. It is not really an easy job most of the time. This is what I was told by a pup trailer driver. So be ready to visit dumpster types places with narrow streets, broken cars strewn across parking lots, potholes etc. Not beautiful big company loading docks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.