Question for those who say you cant drive fatigued

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by NewNashGuy, Jun 9, 2014.

1. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    If you are fatigued, are you supposed to call your dispatch and let them know you will be a few hours/day late because you are sleepy? I never been fatigued, but I have been a little tired mostly due to loads where I picked up at 1 AM an had to be to the receiver at 11 AM which is 9 hours and 30 minutes away. So I suddenly jump from a comfortable day routine for two weeks to an all night driving run.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    There is a fine line between driving slightly tired and driving tired enough you should pull over. Most of us don't pull over at the first yawn, but i never drive tired. If i get an 11PM pickup, i tell dispatch, i will be leaving at 6 am. If they have a problem with that, they can repower it. I never drive tired regaudless of if my logbook say i can. Dont let disbatch boss you around. If your asked to drive tred let them know you need different appointments. Now, that being said, i know some industries are different. It may be as simple as changing industry. For flatbed, most of my loads alow me to drive mostly during the day. Reefer might be more night time contracts.

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    A good dispatcher will give you an idea of what the next day or two will require ... at which point he doesn't want to hear "I am tired" ... I guess it takes a while to build an efficient driver-dispatcher relationship though.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Yeah in the reefer world they make you sit around all day then when they are done loading they expect to just light you up like a bottle rocket GO GO GO DRIVER! Then when you get to the other end, more sit around and wait. Wonder if I will ever smarten up ...

6. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    The only person who can decide if it is safe to drive is you. Many can tell you it isn't safe but only you can make a go decision. The Walmart driver this weekend is facing felony charges for doing his job. He had a duty to refuse to drive if he was too tired to drive. I have no problem driving and then changing my logbooks. But I never drive when I am tired. Never. I pull over and sleep a couple of hours. If Safety and legal bump heads for me Safety wins every time. Safety is a higher standard. If you call your dispatcher and tell them that you cannot safely continue to drive and have to stop for a couple of hours of sleep, you are covered in the US by court case after court case. The courts take safety very seriously.

NewNashGuy Thanks this.
  7. NewNashGuy

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    Yeah I pull reefer and one day I was really tired since I was awake all day getting unloaded not having a preplan then suddenly getting an assignment that picked up at midnight to be delivered the same morning. So the second I got that message I tried to get as much sleep as possible before I had to leave and drive all night. If I had known the day before I would have slept after I had gotten empty. I figured I would have gotten a load that picked up the next morning which is why I stayed awake.

I voiced my concerns over the qualcomm once with no response. I may have to say something again. I am looking at other trucking jobs but they pay half of what I make now. Oh yeah, and there have been runs where I had plenty of time to get there and I always pulled over to take a nap if I got sleepy. That is the real solution there, give us enough time to sleep IF we need to during a run.

8. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Twice as much pay doesn't mean much if you dont get there in one piece.

9. walstib

walstib Darkstar

If you're afraid of dispatch if you call and say you're going to be late because you're tired, cut a valve stem, "oh no, need roadside, looks like I'm going to be late" nap time! Then find another job where you can be honest without fear of reprisal.

pattyj Thanks this.
  10. NewNashGuy

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    Heh, yeah there were times when I had a flat tire and I was actually happy since that allowed me to take a nap.

pattyj and walstib Thank this.
  11. chilibowl

chilibowl Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Houston Texas
    I couldn't agree more. The driver is ultimately responsible for the safe delivery of cargo and equipment. You will be the one sitting in a prison cell if you try and impress anyone with how far you can drive without sleep. If your tired pull over. Safety first

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.