Question I couldn't find answered anywhere.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by shakalaka, Jul 14, 2019.

1. shakalaka

shakalaka Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Hi everyone, I am thinking about becoming a trucker, but I am currently in college and would like to continue my classes. How ordinary is it to be a long haul trucker who sleeps and lives in the truck, but only drives about 40-50 hours a week? I know OTR are usually driving most of the time, so I'm wondering if it is expected that they drive 70-80 hours a week? Or will I be able to easily get a job doing OTR for only 40-50 hours?

Thanks and be safe out there

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    In all honesty, taking regular classes and doing OTR work is incompatible. You might be able to do some limited regional or local work.

MartinFromBC and brian991219 Thank this.
  4. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Ok are you gonna quit driving after you get your degree?

5. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Just sitting there, that truck is costing the company money. They want the wheels turning, so the truck is earning. That usually means they want the wheels turning (you driving) as much as possible.
    BUT, I've seen some weird stuff, so never say it will never happen.

Good luck.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    That wont work. Its all in at 70 hrs a week, get home once in awhile, especially for new drivers.

7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    The right local company will hire you and cover some of your college costs, if the degree is compatible with their operations. This could be a way to work your way into a transportation management job.

Check with LTL companies and ask about their dock to driver and college tuition programs.

As for OTR, unless you got onto a dedicated run with predictable time off, or at least predictable time you are parked each day schooling -even online classes- will be almost impossible to complete.

TankerP, sevenmph and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I know there are OTR drivers out there that only run 8 hours a day, I've met a few. They worked for small outfits with junky equipment.

They are out there, but they won't be easy to find. Most places want to run you like a chicken with your head cut off because the truck dosen't make money while it sits. Especially places that lease trucks. Not lease to drivers, but lease a truck and put a driver in it.

Usually the only people that work low hours are people that own thier own truck and have spent alot of time in the industry and can afford to sit, or know when to sit. They paid thier dues.

Canadianhauler21 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    With all the on-line college courses (ASU, MIT, Conn, many others)... if you don't want to try and do a full course schedule each semester, doing it on-line would be a decent option. Two or three classes each semester, and one during summer break, should be manageable but remember you MUST get your rest before driving.
    One thing to note...as a rookie, you will have to put school on complete hold until you complete training and get out solo, then give your new solo status another semester to get some level of comfort/confidence in your driving abilities.
    Good Luck....keep your positive attitude, you can do anything you put the work and effort to!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @ethos that sometimes posts on here, got his degree while running long haul trucking. He's now a coach or teacher somewhere. It's achievable if you have the self discipline.
    With electronic logs being mandatory now you can get proper rest with good time management.

11. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    You might have more options driving a day cab. Depending on where you live. And after you have a year experience driving a tractor trailer. I live in NE Pa. I had the choice of driving any days I wanted on either day or pm shift. Delivering frozen food to NJ or western NY grocery stores. I picked Fri and Mon doing the 5:00 a.m. shift.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.