Question on Buying a 2014 KW T660 w/ 550hp Isx w/400K miles

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by chickenlicken, Dec 5, 2018.

1. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    I overhead one once in their parking lot before I bought it AND they paid for the part at no change to the price of the truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chickenlicken

chickenlicken Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Thank you for your feedback! Its good to hear the good, the bad and the ugly so I can really weigh my options. Just got the dyno report back with no issues. The blowby looks good at 4" H20.I'm hoping this truck is good one.

Rounded_nut Thanks this.
  4. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    I would think twice. They still had fuel pump plunger problems after switching from ceramic to steel. We had them both fail. The turbo with labor is around $7k ,failed at 600k and the head not soon after.. The heads are known to crack injector tubes and some had engine liner issues. EGR coolers failing . We had a 2012 ISX 550. The first engine went at 300k miles. The second at a little over 400k . I know a bunch of people with similiar stories.
    Constant emmisions issues. I wouldn't touch one . I know some here have had better luck with later model ISX engines ,but it was one of the biggest mistakes we ever made in 32 years.We went back to a 2007 Cat c15. Not perfect, broke a couple of rocker arms , manifold bolts etc, but not the nitemare that 2012 ISX was.

5. roadtech

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    I'm sure the EGR valve has been replaced on that truck at least once. They're known to fail within the first 100k. I was told by the shop manager at the KW dealer we used to go to because they always made sure they had them in stock because it was a constant warranty repair on trucks and even Cummins admitted it was almost a guarantee they would fail in the first 100k. Maybe yours is different since it was a 2013. Another constant failure on ours was the clutch fan failing constantly. They replaced ours 5 times under warranty . It first time it failed again out of warranty we upgraded to a 2 speed Horton clutch and fan and never had a problem with it.

6. chickenlicken

Dec 5, 2018
    Thanks for the feedback Roadtech. I appreciate your personal experience with an ISX motor. I tell you, I have heard all kinds of problems with any motor and its really a shot in the dark. You just never know what you're gonna get like old Forest said.

7. chickenlicken

Dec 5, 2018
    On this leased truck, I did see a large file of the repairs under warranty and there were a lot under 100K. The truck does drive strong and the dyno and blowby are good and the price is right. I have been driving Freightliners mostly along with a Pete, KW and international and I really like this KW T660 hands down. But I do hear you on the ISX15. I hope this is a good one and it appears to be well taken care of. I obviously don't the previous driver of this truck, but I do know the company and there route. Heres to hoping! Thanks again!

8. roadtech

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    Your welcome. I wish you the best of luck in what ever you decide,but "the shot in the dark" is a gun to your head with these year engines,and the dealer doing the repairs @ $115 hr is the one who pulls the trigger . I know your hoping your the one who gets a good one and these problems have been fixed,but these are very expensive engines to repair ,and the DPF/DPF systems always need attention . Every ones situation is different ,but I would never at any price deal with the Nitemare repairs we had with that 2012 ISX. Good Luck in whatever you decide

Leopard Thanks this.
  9. chickenlicken

Dec 5, 2018
    Thanks again Roadtech!

roadtech Thanks this.
  10. roadtech

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    Just remember those "large file of repairs under 100k" don't go away,they will happen again ,EGR cooler,injectors ,DPF/DPF sensors ,dosers,cleanings, etc.
    Like I mentioned before a turbo with labor on these trucks is $7,000 that's insane. Soot starving the top end of oil destroys the cams and on and on.
    It sounds like you made up your mind to buy this truck or maybe have already bought it, and best of luck with it if you did ,but stay on top of it with a good independent shop if you have one ,because dealers will have you sitting for days and they're bills are astronomical . The bills were so high for stupid emmisions related maintenance and repairs the counter person at theKW service desk was afraid to say the amount ,they would just slide the bill across the counter and wait for you to react !lol.

Leopard Thanks this.
  11. chickenlicken

Dec 5, 2018
    I did just buy it and really appreciate all your words and I do hear you and am a little afraid. As you suggested, I do have an independent shop who has done work for me for many years and he is a great guy and always takes good care of our trucks. Going to the KW dealer as you said and them not even telling you the amount but just sliding the bill across is hilarious in a way but nothing funny about the amount.LOL Thanks again!

roadtech Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.