Question on gaining ground clearance for a pneumatic trailer

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by bmw0311bmw, Feb 27, 2012.

1. andre

andre Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    wow, I don't know why your landing gear isn't grinding first, before your product piping... I must be missing something in the bigger picture.

I have scraped my landing gear many many times mostly at scales on a scale hill. I actually broke the support flanges on one once. I have rubbed the product pipe in the dirt once, but luckily it didn't do any damage. I also had a friend go over a speed bump and sever all the connectors on the product pipe for all three pods (we have pretty small pneumatic trailers in general). Had to put that trailer into the shop for awhile.

Other than 24s on the back instead of 22s, and/or on the truck, I'm not sure how you would do it. Keep in mind if this is your rig (which I'm assuming it is because you are worried about cost) you can resell those tires and rims to recoup some of the cost of the new tires and rims.

Or you could complain to the shipper about it and maybe they will do something about it to accomodate you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Green Machine

Green Machine Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Ohio
    It depends on how the layout of the ground is. If you go up a hill then right back down your landing gear may not catch but your product pipe will. Or, the grade when he leaves the docks could be greater then what you are used to. I think my landing gear only sits like 4" lower then my product pipe/valves.

There was one spot that I seen in my travels that if I went that way I would have caught my product pipe. On a bridge job I delivered at, I got unloaded and they wanted me to do a u-turn to go on the other side of the highway because they were working on the other bridge as well. This u-turn wasn't paved yet and was not looking very good for someone with a low trailer.

andre Thanks this.
  4. andre

andre Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yep, that'll do it.

I would ask the shipper if they can do something about that. Otherwise I probably would go for another load and leave that one for other folks. There's always other loads.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.