Question regarding cannabis and driving within Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Fluidzooid, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Fluidzooid

Fluidzooid Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2023
    Hi all,
    Complete newbie here, I recently obtained my class A license a few months ago and have been looking for a gig. For a couple months, I would smoke 2-3 times a week in my free time. I'm aware you can't smoke and do runs in the US. It's been over 2 months since I last smoked, but I tested positive a few weeks ago with one of those at home test kits. I recently got hired for a local job, but they said they do not allow any cannabis use, even though it is federally legal. I submitted a non-DOT pre employment urine sample today. If it were to come back positive, do we have something in Canada like the clearing house, or will it go on my record or something? I don't want this to affect future employment opportunities.

Thank you for the responses.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Not to my knowledge. Honestly, if you need to smoke pot, don’t bother driving truck. An employer can’t share officially your results with another employer, but a
    I’m guessing they would.

4. classicxl

classicxl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2006
    I don’t believe a positive would affect your drivers license unless caught by police smoking weed while driving. Having said that you can be called up for a Random drug and Alcohol test at anytime and up to 100 times a year by the Government and if you fail it would go on your clearing house account which i believe potential employers can see and your employer would probably fire you also . I don’t necessarily agree which not being able to smoke weed on your time off but it is what it is . If you want to drive a truck don’t do drugs plain and simple

5. Albertaflatbed

Albertaflatbed Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2022
    Nisku, AB
    Most places will require a pre-employment drug and alcohol test in Canada. There is no "clearing house" in canada like there is in the USA so that is not an issue up here.

However, if you get caught with it in the commercial vehicle, you will have all kinds of problems, fellow I uses to work with was stopped at a scale in alberta and they were doing roadside drug and alochol checks on all vehicles across the scale. He had marijuana in his truck cab, was put oos, and his employer fired him for violation of company policies. Not sure how the oos shows on his commercial abstract but it certainly will.

If oyur going to drive a commercial vehicle you would be wise to not regualrily smoke up, just like drinking, know what will cause a fail on a roadside test and dont have enough to cause a fail.

6. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Years ago, the elapsed time of "7 weeks" was often quoted as to how long THC would remain in your blood in measurable quantities. Smoke a joint, and you could fail a drug test next month. Snort cocaine on Saturday, then drink a lot of grapefruit juice on Sunday, and you'll pass your drug test on Monday.....

7. 03machwon

03machwon Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Yeah that's not true, maybe for 0 in your system, but you're allowed to have 50ng/ml. So it's quite easy to beat the test. I ve been smoking weed almost every since I started driving 12 years ago. I only quit a couple weeks before a pre-employment n then go back to smoking. I've also passed randoms as soon as Wednesday afternoon, after smoking all weekend long. Long as you know how to dilute, you're good to go. I just simply practiced with the home tests. No clearinghouse in Canada so no big deal failing tests here either. Also don't smoke and drive, take edibles. No smell, no attention lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.