Question to Smokers Pumping Gas...

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Pumpkin Oval Head, Jan 13, 2019.

1. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Good thing we’re all at the diesel pumps. Am I right?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Diesel pumps even jet fuel, but gasoline fumes are very flammable.Tip: if starting a burn pile at home, don’t use gasoline!! Phhhoooooff !!!

4. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Awww c'mon!! How would the wife know I got the pile started without rattling the windows like 3 or 4 F-15's just did a low level fly by?

5. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    No explosion, no fire.......it just struck me how she thought it was safe to smoke while starting to pump gas and and when done fueling.....she sat in the cab smoking while the pump ran.

I looked up a youtube video of a guy smoking a cig that lit his fuel pump on fire. He dropped the pump handle once the fumes lit up, and the flames went out when the fumes burned off. Amazing video, was surprised no explosion.

As others have stated, it is the vapors that ignite, not the liquid.

It is worth the search to watch.

On the other hand, a guy checking his fuel tanker fuel level with a lighter gets blown to pieces.....that video is exploding with action....the more vapors the bigger the bang.

When I was a kid, we had some Ford tractors with the fuel tank above the engine, as they used gravity feed instead of a fuel pump. I always shut the motor off when fueling....didnt want to have gas running down onto the hot exhaust gas pipe.....just didnt seem like a good idea.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    What you don't want is transfer static electricity to the car or to you from the car at the point of fueling. It's enough of a spark to light it. If you did light it leave that nozzle in the fuel spout. Don't you pull it out. Cashier has a shut down for that pump.

We have witnessed a number of gas station fires. Usually confined to the pump machinery itself and the vehicle near it. Never in a Diesel filling.

7. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Kinda off topic but funny. I watched a drunk guy at a bonfire once reach down and pick up a piece of steel belt out of a burnt tire lol. It wasnt glowing hot but it was hot enough it stuck to his fingers when he screamed and frantically shook his hand to let it go lmbo

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i have seen MORE videos of static electricity causing fires at gas stations, than smokers.

and to this day, when ever i fuel up at a gas station, i have yet to see some nod-off smoking while fueling. the station attendant does not even turn on the pumps.

9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Meh, it's fine as long as it doesn't spill out or overflow.

You know how many times I have refuled my generator by pouring gas in a funnel while smoking a ciggarette? More than I can count.

Not the smartest thing to do. But, getting food poisiong, or getting in a vehicle accident is more likely. Not to mention drunk/distracted driver shenanigans.

Meh. :D

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  10. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    There's a NTSB report, I think it's in the hazmat section.....

A petroleum jobber was using a 3-pot trailer for storage: no lead, premium, and diesel. They had hose hookups to fill small portable tanks, and plastic 5 gal buckets under each fitting.

One of the workers went up to make sure the no lead hole was empty, and took the drip bucket up with him.

Opens the dome, yep it's empty, pours the slop bucket into the hole,and........

.........the resulting explosion sparked by the static discharge blew him off the top of the tank, and a hundred or so feet laterally, to a crash landing on the gravel lot.

The tank ruptured, releasing the product in the other two pots, which of course caught fire.

He survived, but was pretty busted up and spent a lot of time in the hospital. He has no memory of the explosion.

I think that's why those plastic buckets started disappearing from the storage boxes on gasoline trailers.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  11. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    I
    I woulda told you to mind your own #### business

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.