question...WiFi?

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by LuvDemTigers, Dec 7, 2007.

1. LuvDemTigers

LuvDemTigers Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NC
    As you know, if you read my other post, I am wanting to get into the trucking game. It is going to be a huge change for me to do so, but I honestly want to try it and see if I love it as much as my friends do. My question is this - Im big into the internet and computers. If I have a computer with WiFi, do the truck stops have hot spots for this? Like I know you can only drive for so long and then you have to stop. It would get mighty boring if I didnt have my internet connection to do the things i normally do (like visit here for example).

Im just trying to see my options. Any thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Get your access through your cell provider. Get an air card in other words.

If you try to get access at ALL truck stops. You will pay mega dollars.

Although many use Sirricomm, others do not. And you'll need to purchase additional access.

Personally, I enjoy my PC. But I can't see shelling out the $$ when I'm on the road. I wait until I hit a free hot spot, or do without.

4. LuvDemTigers

LuvDemTigers Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NC
    What does it cost, on average, to access? What stops have free wireless? Like is there a certain one that is free, like Flying J or something?

5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    99% of the majors charge for access. You can get 24 hours for about $8

Or you can get a month for about $20. Lower if you buy it annually. Do the math, you'll be paying well over $300 a year for what amounts to VERY limited access.

TA, Flying J, and Petro all use differant services. While some of the Petros use Sirricomm (like Loves and Pilot).

There are a few Truck stops that offer WiFi for free. You can't live in them, and they are far and few between.

Air card is your best bet. And you don't have to worry about where you are parked at in the truck stop.

6. LostBoy

LostBoy Light Load Member

May 8, 2007
    davenport iowa
    my verizon air card is 60 a month for unlimited access. other than that some rest areas also have wi-fi.

keep in mind almost all places that offer free wi-fi offer unsecured wi-fi.

7. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    i have a AIR CARD from t-mobile that i use, older/slower version from current broadband units, but i only pay 30.oo fro unl. usage.

sprint was running a deal dont know if they still are : they were giving away the card / and then sign a contract for 60.oo month, for x lenght of time

imo: sprint has the best network and fasest speeds of all the providers

i have had my card since 2003 and i luv it, i be tooling around town or going down the interstate and still be connected.

a AIR CARD MEANS YOU ARE A ROLLING HOTSPOT as most interstate's and metro areas have cell towers you have reception.:biggrin_25520:

8. acw

acw Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Florida
    check out the system offered by bellsouth. its pretty good.

9. capnhector

capnhector Light Load Member

t-mobile also has an addon to your phone plan if your phone has bluetoothe to use the phone as a bluetooth modem its 19.99 for unlimited access added to your plan.

10. MXH

MXH Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2006
    I've discovered that many shippers/recievers have free internet. I don't think I'm supposed to be using it, though. So I don't use it, I've never used it, and in fact I'm not using it right now.

11. BigDaddyJollyRob

BigDaddyJollyRob <strong>"El Oso"</strong>

Nov 10, 2007
    WARWICK,RI
    Pick your plan carefully if you go with tmobile some areas cut out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.