Questions about CB radio

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jayEasttt, May 17, 2024.

1. jayEasttt

jayEasttt Bobtail Member

May 17, 2024
    Ive been a new driver for about 3 months now. And I wanted to know if the 2022 international LT comes with stock antennas or if I have to purchase them my self. Been tempted to buy a CB just don’t want to spend a bunch of money and figuring out later I’m missing pieces for what I’m trying to do.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It should come with a stock antenna, it should be what is called a multiplexed antenna that means the am/fm radio is on the antenna.

the radio isn’t as important as the antenna system.

the real question is what does the company or the owner allow you to do with the truck?

jayEasttt Thanks this.
  4. jayEasttt

jayEasttt Bobtail Member

May 17, 2024

I work for Schneider and my trainer had a CB and some of the people on the same account as me have one also.

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The International LT uses a regular antenna for the am fm radio. The coax is run to the mirrors , but unless your company supplies them you have to buy your own cb antennas.

6. Thrasher28

Thrasher28 Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2021
    Bowling Green, KY
    The one I was in had two factory antennas behind the sleeper. They weren't great, but they got the job done if you're just wanting to hear chatter in traffic. There's not constant chatter on the CB either, so dont get worried if you get one and don't hear anyone for hours.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I didn't remember if they were seperate or not, I thought IH did the same thing now as FL. Thanks for the info.

8. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    The best thing you can do is find a cb shop buy your antenna and radio from them and have them setup your antenna he will check and adjust your swr on the antenna.The antenna is important to be right do it on a day when it’s not raining they can’t tune your antenna if it’s raining.

jayEasttt Thanks this.
  9. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    My, things have changed. It used to be whenever I had a long haul down I-40, I'd always get lots of blabbermouths with echo boxes and kickers spewing garbage all over CH19. Started turning my radio off a lot....

10. Thrasher28

Thrasher28 Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2021
    Bowling Green, KY
    Definitely no #### chatting really nowadays. Half the people only turn their radio on when traffic hits. And 99% only want to hear anything on their radio if it's something urgent. I rarely just hear regular ol' conversations. I've probably only had 3 in the 3 years I've been out here.

Still a few big radio guys clogging things up on occasion, but pretty rare besides Mud Duck.

Majority of the conversations I hear are just long hood guys talking about their trucks lol. And then of course the local guys if you pass a quarry or elevator

And security shacks and shipping offices definitely don't use them anymore. I still see the signs for 'tune to channel' though.

11. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Wow. I guess "SHUT UP, STUPID" isn't used much anymore?

Numb Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.