Questions about Finding a job post dui

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Aireal, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    It's called move over or slow down. Most of the time this is common sense, but it's law in a few states (IE, Indiana). If you see someone on the shoulder, why on earth would you blow by inches from them at highway speed?

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Funny ain't it , 2 drivers with the same amount of experience, with 2 completely different stances on whats safe , or what is stupid.....Wonder which one has the best safety record......

Ghost Ryder Thanks this.
  4. bigdogpile

bigdogpile Road Train Member

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    Of course you would move over but sometimes, mostly in calif you just cant, so wait till I pass you before you jump out in a 55 mph lane at 5 or 10 mph. Once you put on that blinker to merge your no longer a " brokedown " on the shoulder, same rules apply to someone entering the highway from an onramp..I would have the right of way,Do you always slow down or move over at on ramps ? Not likely..

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  5. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Because the 101 in Hollywood has 10 foot wide lanes and NO shoulder. If someone is broke down they are in the iceplant and their mirror is probably six inches in my lane. The 5 lanes of traffic to my left might not agree that everyone should be concerned about me hitting that guy.
    Assuming that everyone should always move over sounds like a politician talking.

Ghost Ryder Thanks this.
  6. Ghost Ryder

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    Good point. I assumed you were refrencing a multi-lane highway.

7. Ghost Ryder

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    It depends on the situation. If I can do it safely, I will move over every time to let someone on the freeway. Even though I may have right-of-way, sometime's it's just better to yield right-of-way than it is to get into conflict. But if I have too many vehicles around me I will not. Besides, I think we're talking about broke down vehicles on the shoulder. Different scenario all together.

8. jcoach21

jcoach21 Bobtail Member

May 2, 2010
    Los angeles, ca
    The truckers that fall asleep while driving are the killers not just DUIs. You are more likely to seriously injured some in a vehicle while tired than under the influence. You don't close your eyes when you drink.

I got one when I was 21 and didn't know about the effects but now at 26 I'm a new carhauler that makes 2500-3000 weekly.

Keep applying and only listen to those that own companies with more than 3 trucks and/or been through the same situation and succeeded.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.