Questions about Finding a job post dui

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Aireal, Feb 11, 2013.

1. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Wow. What a predicament to be in. Your friend really shot himself in the foot. Of course, they're already going to be aware of this, so I suppose saying it was kind of pointless, but I'm going to indulge. When you've been doing something for 25 years, it's a bit difficult to simply pack up and find a new career path.
    My problem is this - he got caught one time. Statistics indicate that it's not going to be the only time they've driven drunk. Wisconsin Bureau of Transportation Safety did a study which found that, for every driver caught driving impaired, they'll actually have done it between anywhere from 80 to 2000 times before. Maybe it was a one off thing (and I hope it is), but statistics don't favor that. And that's a pretty grandiose mistake for someone with 25 years of professional experience to make - I know it's been said countless times already, but I'm going to reiterate it. That's a big deal. Very big deal. I mean, I know there's a lot of condemnation of others for being judgmental going on in this thread, but it's kinda hard not to be. Maybe the intricate details of exactly what happened could sway opinion on it, but, in the end, you're still left with the equation of "25 year truck driver + DUI". I think most of us would expect anyone who makes a living behind the wheel of a big truck to know better, regardless of experience.
    I hope your friend can find something, and that he won't make the same mistake again.
    I hope your friend learned from his mistake. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to go with the consensus that it's really going to limit his options are far as companies go, at least for the immediate future.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aireal

Aireal Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Garden City, TX
    I've already told him that i think it might be a lost cause. But he really wants to get out on the road. 3 yrs is up in June and their is a local logging company that is willing to hire him then, my husband used to work for them. He quit because the equipment wasn't what he would concider safe, have you ever looked at a logging trucks tires?

Our friend is happy that it's a job, he would have prefered otr and will look til he can start the other job.

I do agree with most btw that he is old enough to know better and experienced enough. If the circumstances has been any different I would have told him flat out to find a job til ssi kicks in.

4. FREEBRD

FREEBRD Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Lafollette tn
    Some drink ! Some don't! Just because you've never wanted to imbibe doesn't me no one else should !
    People have been drinking since the begining of time!
    So you don't believe people can change or in second chances! I hope you never make a mistake! And if you do I hope you don't get a second chance ! Because that is your belief!
    i am also a believer of practicing what you preach!
    We are human were gonna make mistakes in this life!
    Like a friend trucker told me when I first started trucking! "If you ain't making mistakes In life you aren't doing anything.
    Let the punishment fit the crime!

5. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    I drink. I drive. Never once have I mixed the 2, because I care enough about my life, the life of other people, and my license. I wish y'all would stop comparing a DUI to a 'simple mistake'. It is not a 'simple mistake'. You choose to get behind the wheel of a vehicle drunk, even with all the awareness law enforcement has been putting out in the last 25 years. You're also a professional driver, and should know better. No excuses, and no pity. Get a DUI, you don't belong behind the wheel of anything ever again.

2nd chances? What about 2nd chances for the person you killed?

Tonythetruckerdude and ShootThis Thank this.
  6. interdude

interdude Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2012
  7. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    All this stuff means is there are some some pilots that are willing to do the same thing as some drivers are....don't make no difference at all, if you are in a plane, truck, car, motorcycle...if you are drinking and get caught you should be made to forfeit the privilege. I don't get why some folks just don't see this subject as one of personal responsibility , If you get behind the wheel of a vehicle drinking you are saying that care nothing about 1st your own life, not to mention the lives of every single other driver that you meet.....To those that refuse to recognize that driving under the influence is a choice, not a "mistake" well you sure have no sense what so ever of personal responsibility...none

Ghost Ryder Thanks this.
  8. Ghost Ryder

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    The fact that there are so many DUI supporters here is rather disturbing, and makes me ashamed to call myself a driver. Y'all wonder why the 'brotherhood' isn't there? This is why. Trucking is seen as a dirty image from the public because of the DUI's, and other felons that end up back behind the wheel to kill someone. Y'all like to complain about the bad drivers on the road, and then turn around and try to help a bad driver get back on the road. Which is it?

2nd chances? Ok, lets give this guy a 2nd chance just so he can drive drunk again. This time I hope he kills someone you know.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  9. interdude

interdude Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2012
    it means there is a standard for pilots, iow 2nd chances,

but for truckers (some feel) you are done, there are none

i guess that means the FAA are a bunch of dummies, how could they possibly give or even consider giving pilots a second chance

10. Ghost Ryder

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    You can get your license pulled on a 91.17 and a 91.13. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

11. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    And since when did any Federal entity named or UN-named go into the same sentence with good decision making...

Ghost Ryder Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.