Questions about Hauling into Ca with an old Pete

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MJuneAk, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy Dino soar,

Here's a couple of photos of the build.

Building the full rear deck.
    [​IMG]

Test load to figure out wheel chalk tie down locations.
    [​IMG]

The completed deck showing wheel tie down caulks, the ramps are stored in the lower box, behind rear axle, I had not yet completed the cover for the top box behind rear axle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Showing the air cushioned articulating RV hitch, this hitch is rated at 8,000 pounds tongue weight, 30,000 pounds towed load. My trailer fully loaded, water, food, cloths, tools, toys is around 4,200 pounds tongue weight and 24,000 pounds towed load.
    [​IMG]

Just unloaded the Smart Car, at our first desert campsite.
    [​IMG]

If you interested the full build gallery is at this link. I am still fine tuning the build and will get around to up dating the gallery one of these days.
    My 2001, Peterbilt 379, RV Hauler - Mr-Cob

Dave

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Reason for edit: loaded more photos.
    650cat425 and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Wow that is really awesome!

Excellent job.

I probably will work until I'm a thousand, but if I ever do retire I like the idea.

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  4. Mr. Cob

Howdy @Dino soar,

I tried to post a link to the ramps I and many others use to load their Smart Car's onto the truck deck, this site won't allow it, called it spam. Send me a PM and I'll send you the link, or just goggel, "Discount ramps" they have at least a hundred different type of ramps for just about any use can think of.

Dave

650cat425 Thanks this.
  5. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    I've seen a couple guys with smart cars like that visiting Alaska. Nice setup.

Mr. Cob and 650cat425 Thank this.
  6. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    980A2CE6-8713-4356-9080-ADA2CC7C22FD.jpeg 009B463C-1F33-426F-9AD8-6D4D596DD46C.jpeg 5063D050-0088-42EF-BBAA-6668AF24E619.jpeg 5063D050-0088-42EF-BBAA-6668AF24E619.jpeg B9439608-BF0A-42DA-89CE-C4583C7BC570.jpeg 980A2CE6-8713-4356-9080-ADA2CC7C22FD.jpeg 980A2CE6-8713-4356-9080-ADA2CC7C22FD.jpeg I am with Mr. Cob......check with your home state for the requirements. Your home state is all that matters, you can travel anywhere you want to as long as you meet your home state requirements.
    My home state is Ohio and my is a 2007 Pete 379 with a sleeper. It was impossible for me to register it as a RV as one of the requirements in Ohio is to remove the fifth wheel hitch. The only option I have is to register it as a commercial vehicle. The registration is less than $200 a year....but commercial insurance runs about $2K a year and again the only option.
    I pull a 48’ former Mayflower moving van I converted into a camper with a small area for horses/toy hauler in the back. Again commercial trailer plates were the only option in Ohio.
    I run with “Not for Hire Non-Commercial Use” on my steps.
    I do not have a CDL as I am not required to in Ohio. Other states may or may not be the same. I do not keep a log book but I do roll through all of the scales when I travel, which includes outside of the state of ohio.
    Not being a “truck driver” my biggest issue was self educating myself to not be a target the scale houses. Every state is different on the procedure and you need to follow the exact procedure. Years go on my first trip the first scale house I had to pull through was in Colorado. My assumption was that you rolled through at 5-10 mph and if the red light came on you had to pull around back and go inside. Boy was I wrong....first red light came on when my steers were on the scale and I kept moving, all of the way through and around back. When I got inside the first words I heard were “Boy, don’t you know what a red light means?”
    Be carful of the definition of “commercial”....as it was suggested, if you compete your any prize money you are commercial. Everything on board has to be yours and not for sale. Hauling hay...the hay can not be used to feed any livestock that are for sale either.
    Don’t expect that you won’t be challenged as you will. Know your home state requirements.
    Here a few photos of my set up

Attached Files:

Speed_Drums and Mr. Cob Thank this.
  7. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    The bigger question that I forgot to ask is what CA would do with you in that old of a truck?
    I would argue that you do not fall under any more regulations than Clark W Griswold in the family station wagon passing through but o kind of feel they might be feel otherwise.

8. Mr. Cob

Howdy TTNJ,

That is a GREAT setup, HONK, HONK.

Dave

9. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
  10. Mr. Cob

Howdy Dockbumper,

Looks like a Smart Car, heavy haul version, very rare. ;)

Dave

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.