Questions about Lease Operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by peterbiltdan, May 22, 2018.

1. peterbiltdan

peterbiltdan Bobtail Member

May 22, 2018
    Hello guys. I have a few questions about something I want to do in the coming months. First of all, I live in New Jersey (horrible state i know). I am looking to buy a truck in Oklahoma, and the company I am going to lease onto is located in Tennessee. The company will be doing IFTA, providing insurance, plates, and trailer. I see no reason to get a DOT number because of this, but this brings up the question. How am I to bring the truck from Oklahoma to Tennessee. Is that legal? Any tips or knowledge.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. peterbiltdan

May 22, 2018
    Oh i forgot to add, they will also be providing ELD.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    First get the company thing out of the way, let them provide you with the contract first, then you deal with the truck lined up. Then once you get the contract signed, go out there with their plates and their insurance in hand.

Don't bother going and getting it without the plates, it is simpler to do it with their plates. You then drive it back to them and have them put their stickers on it and get the eld in it, good to go.

No need to worry about the eld, go paper on the way back to the place.

5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    All I have ever done is have it insured, get a temp tag from the dealer and drive it home.

6. peterbiltdan

May 22, 2018
    thanks. I was probably overthinking it.

7. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    There is no way a company is going to have him sign a contract and insure him without a truck and a full inspection on it. Like Oscar said just get a short term bobtail policy and temp tag, and put not for hire on the side.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.