Questions about life on the road - eating healthy

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ExtremeUnction, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I see in the picture you have my favorite snack; Friskies and Cheddar. That stuff is delicious on saltine crackers.

dngrous_dime, Bakerman and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    More then half the stuff in the market is still bad for you so just stocking up from the store won't change that but it will save you money. Most of the stuff is high fructrose corn syrup or from concentrate. Most of the healthy stuff involves cooking facilities not a microwave.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You read the part about under privileged kitties didn't you? And sometimes I travel with one of mine. But how could you face yourself if you came across a hungry kitty, and had nothing to offer it? kitty.jpg

Bubblehead69 Thanks this.
  5. JoeyBowman

JoeyBowman Medium Load Member

Jul 21, 2012
    NC
    You don't even need an apu or high end inverter to cook in your truck. A Coleman 12v cooler will keep your food cold and I'm the temperature safety zone. (If not colder)

A slow cooker will run off a 150 watt power inverter that plugs into the 12v hole.

Road pro makes a small 12v frying pan. It's small. But it works.

ExtremeUnction and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  6. JoeyBowman

JoeyBowman Medium Load Member

Jul 21, 2012
    NC

Using my slow cooker the first time for chicken tacos. Could make all kinds of stuff. I prep food at home and freeze it so that it'll thaw and be ready for the slow cooker once I'm on the road.

ExtremeUnction and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  7. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    a 12 volt cooler and a lunch box cooker is the best for beginners. after 30 yrs out here I still use them.
    stop for a few minutes to throw stuff in the cooker and your can have a cooked meal in 45 minutes, while driving.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Finalsomnia

Finalsomnia Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Woodstock, GA
    To show you how easy it is cook in the truck, I'm gonna share my "Generic Casserole" recipe for the 12v lunchbox stoves. What you'll need:

Lunchbox stove
    1 loaf pan
    1 bag of boil-in-bag rice
    1 small can of vegetables, preferably low-sodium (8oz or less)
    1 can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
    1 can of white meat chicken or one prepackaged low sodium Spam slice
    1 "snack-pack" sized roll of Ritz crackers
    Water

Open the bag of rice (I use these because it's the perfect portion size) and pour into the loaf pan. Drain the liquid from the vegetables (and canned chicken if that's what you're using) directly into the rice. If the liquid doesn't just cover the rice, add water until it does.

If you are using the Spam slice, cut it into pieces and add it to the rice. Otherwise, pour the chicken and veggies onto the rice. Spoon the soup on top of that. Cook this for 30 minutes and then stir; give it another 15-20 minutes and then crush the Ritz crackers and pour them on top of the casserole. Cook for another 10 minutes, unplug and open the cooker. Let cool for a bit and voila!

This will make two portions, unless you're a lardass like me. Also, using lite/reduced sodium/low fat versions of the ingredients is recommended.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    This guy is a little over the top on the melodramatics. "You have to train your body to drive 11 hrs, Minimum"

Because that's the least you will drive in a day?

"You will work you ### off"

There is a huge difference between working hard and working long hours

Just a few examples. Why we always try to make this sound so much harder than it really is I'll never know.

Lepton1, akfisher and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Dropped a trailer the other day and had to crank the handle 30 times to get the landing gear down. 30! :mad:

KMac and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. Finalsomnia

Finalsomnia Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Woodstock, GA
    Jesus, man, you might as well just have taken your 10 hour break in the trailer lot!

skellr and KMac Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.