Questions about long hauling???

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by THA ROAD DOGG, Mar 29, 2009.

1. THA ROAD DOGG

THA ROAD DOGG Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2009
    aite checkin in to see if anyone can help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Plated means the registered weight . At 26,000 he doesn't need a CDL under Federal regulations but some states require a CDL A if you pull a trailer over 10,000 lbs. commercially . It gets confusing . If youir home state just goes by the 26,000 and not trailer weight you are good anywhere with a regular license . Factory GCWR means nothing except an excuse to void a warranty if youi go over . The GCWR for a Dodge 3500 dually is 23,000 lbs but plenty of them out there are registered for over 30,000 lbs. . That's another crazy thing . The registered weight has nothing to do with CDL requirements . The CDL requirements are based on the combined GVWR of truck and trailer .

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The Federal rules have a 10,000 lbs trailer rule, but tied to the gross weight. I am not aware of any of the states havings a different rule than the federal on the CDL requirements.
    I have posted a link direct to the CDL requirement by FMCSA.
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm

Another possible crazy issue, say with your example of the Dodge. Iowa is one of the states that looks at the gross weight on the truck for the combined towing weight. I have heard that fines and out of service has happened when the driver has exceeded the factory GVWR.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  5. THA ROAD DOGG

Mar 28, 2009
    ok so it looks like i dont need a cdl and i can pull a total of 26,000lbs

6. THA ROAD DOGG

Mar 28, 2009
    can you explain what you mean by that?

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Basically, it means that my truck is licensed and registered to transport 26,000 lbs.

However, Iowa, looks at what the factory rated the truck for, 23,500 GCVWR. If I pull through Iowa and get stopped with more than the factory rated weight, I might get a ticket and out of service.

It is a new area that has been coming to the top since October last year. I do not know the answer to it.

8. THA ROAD DOGG

Mar 28, 2009
    ok so iowa has strict rules
    if i end up doin this ima make a sheet of all the strict states
    altho i will have much more info to by regardless
    thanx for the help
    anyone from washington or oregon on here?

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Where does IA get the GCWR for the truck ? Doesn't the truck only have the GVWR on the VIN plate ? I avoid IA . They are also a state that will put you out of service if you don't have a sleeper and can't produce a motel receipt . GA is another winner . Several hotshotters with duallies and goosenecks told me GA gave them warnings because they had over 3 axles and didn't have IFTA registration . The 3 axle IFTA requirement refers to power units .

10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

My guess is they get it from the web. I looked mine up. I try not to run the state. If I am going west, I go at night or through my house and Missouri then back up.

11. THA ROAD DOGG

Mar 28, 2009
    So as long as im not over 26,000lbs
    i can go to any state, is that right?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.