Questions about Star Transport

Discussion in 'Star Transport IL' started by Petercar79, May 30, 2008.

1. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    You don't have enough stick time to know why they keep hiring drivers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. justin8842

justin8842 Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Waterloo iowa
    ive talked to 4 drivers been with star formore than 10 years and even the new safety director i kno the reason they hire new drivers cause most of the drivers who got fired had more than 1 accident on the record in a star truck and some are fired for drin king on stars time also i kno y star is hiring drivers cause they dont want drivers who break the rules

4. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Most of the drivers; me included did not get fired.

5. starboy3

starboy3 Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Mortin,Il
    I am happy to see a post thats not negative on here. It seems like people just bash every trucking company on here. I am glad things are going well for you Justin. The re-gen problem is not just a Star problem its a concern with alot of trucks. These trucks should be filtering out of the fleet in the next year or so. The new re-gen system seems to be working better. As for firing drivers no mass firings have taken place here. We did have a large round of layoffs in early 2009 in a effort to downsize the fleet because of the economic downturn. We are now hiring more drivers and INCREASING the size of the fleet. No company I know of wants to or revels in the thought of firing anyone. When it dose happen it is for cause (driving record, accidents, repeated late arrivals, combative with co-workers or customers) Some drivers like you Notarps have left for other employment. I wish you well and hope some of the things you have learned during your time with Star help you in your career.

6. cardsfan29

cardsfan29 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Star is a decent company for a driver to start his career. They aren't perfect, no job is. If u form a good relationship with ur dispatcher and prove that u can make deliveries on time u will get miles and get home most weekends. Some weekends may not be real long but they will get u home and they bend over backward to get everyone home for major holidays. They maintain their equipment really well as well.

7. deadhead1001

deadhead1001 Bobtail Member

does anyone know an average amount of weekly miles star drivers run

8. Mailrunner0814

Mailrunner0814 Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Somerset KY
    Like these other guys said if you keep your deliveries on time and don't mess around they'll give you decent miles. 8 out of 10 loads they gave me were over 700 miles and then majority of them were over 1000. I'm not gonna bash Star because everyone has their own opinion and has been treated differently. Like it's been said before are they perfect? Far from it but they aren't the worst by far.

9. justin8842

justin8842 Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Waterloo iowa
    got fired in september from them for late loads then i checked my DAC report and it said unsafe safety record when i did not have any safety issues

10. tigersroses1

tigersroses1 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Rock Island, IL
    When i think about the options, the economy and the fact that I've been an out of work welder for over 2 yrs and Star is willing to give me a shot when it's been awile since I have driven.....I gotta say it's a shot I have to take! I need to get out there and support myself. My wife died 3 yrs ago, Our kids are grown and i have no mortgage. But i still have to make a living! So if i gotta be out 90 days ata time to make that money....So be it!
    Anybody care to lend some advice or a little encouragement in this endeavor? I'm no kid. I'm 46 yrs old and just trying to make ends meet after losing the other income that came into the house. Any tips or advice on how to make my transition to Star a meaningful one...Please, Feel free to advise away.
    Thanks Folks.

11. shoemaker

shoemaker Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2011
    pontiac mi
    i used to drive for star and they do have nice equipment i had to go to iowa to pick my truck up that was abandoned but it was worth it when i got it. i had a great trainer his name is patrick and i cant remember his last name but i would like to get in touch with him if any star drivers know him please ask him to get in touch with me. thank you and its always appreciated.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.