Questions about the Marcellus Shale water haulers?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by needAbetterJOB, May 9, 2011.

1. FREEBRD

FREEBRD Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Lafollette tn
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FREEBRD

Oct 18, 2007
    Lafollette tn
    Oops! Looks like a tie trashtrucker!
    What are the owner operators making with there own trailer?
    Do u think more money to be made in pa or nd?

4. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    I don't know the rates but I know finding housing here is a hell of a lot easier and I doubt the conditions are as brutal, although they're drilling these wells in some sketchy places, tight roads and big, let me rephrase that, REALLY big hills.

plymouth Thanks this.
  5. FREEBRD

Oct 18, 2007
    Lafollette tn
    Sounds like there earning there money! Equipment aint cheap.
    There's allways a catch !

plymouth Thanks this.
  6. Tonyskillz1983

Tonyskillz1983 Bobtail Member

So anyway we are slow down here with our septic pumping and weve got a steel 2,500 gal international pto driven massport set up, and a mack r class 5,000gal aluminum tank pto driven massport set up. My parnter and I are looking to put these trucks to work at the marcellus shale. Are companys still looking to contract O/O at descent rates. What are some of the industry standards as far as o/o pay, are we looking at 12 hour rotating shifts 7 days a week or what??? we are ready to roll yestarday! help me out guys. Thank you all for your informational posts

7. Tonyskillz1983

You seem very knowledgable of the industry in PA, my business partner and I are looking to run 1 or 2 of our trucks to the oilfield. any info on o/o standards would be great. Thanks Trashtrucker

8. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    Don't know what the O/O rates are, most of the companies I see are fairly large companies, with company drivers: RNI Trucking, Hawg Hauling which I believe is owned by Chesapeake Energy, Higland Environmental, Force Trucking, the list goes on. You've got companies like Smith Transport (the freight company) who has water trucks running up here. The work is endless, I would honestly say it's 24/7/365, there's just that many wells and from what I've read they predict to drill 3,000 per year in the region.

On another note though, I've recently moved here from Florida and let me tell you nothing can prepare you for what you're getting yourself in to. They drill these wells in very remote locations and on top of very steep hills, it's not rare to hear of guys going off the sides of these hills due to the conditions, bring chains you'll need them, get very beefy tires you'll need them, and bring balls of steel because I honestly believe you'll need them too, it's a different world up here but it's busy, a modern day boomtown.

Look at those companies I listed and just start calling around, I'm in Washington PA which is right on the border of WV and OH where a lot of this work is going on, there has to be something here for you guys I'm sure of it.

Tonyskillz1983 Thanks this.
  9. Tonyskillz1983

Thanks TrashTrucker, Im going to burn down some phone lines, and were going to make some plans to get our boots in the mud up there. Im from NY originally and have done most of my water hauling up there year round in all weather so im used to some cold temps. We are going to continue our research and development for now.....but I will be intouch if any other questions arise. Thank you very much for your honesty and help thus far and keep on churnin and burinin up there in Marcellus.

10. Tonyskillz1983

Hey TrashTrucker, I called around to those companys and Highland Enviro seemed very helpful, The gentleman I spoke with said he will contract an owner op for $85 an hour(kinda low considering fuel and other expenses). We also learned of a 45-60 day lapse in recieving a first check. We also dont know if we are paying for dump fee's for waste water? or are the municipal sewage treatment plants no longer accepting oil field waste water? Ive seen pictures of huge de watering pits for waste water. My parnter is going up in a few weeks for some face time, and hopefully we can get more answers to alot of our questions. Im 28 and really looking foward not just to hauling water (Ive been at this for 6 years in NY and NC in the septic industry and for some reason love it) but also to the oil field industry as a whole. Id even like to start taking college courses and get a degree in this field.

11. plymouth

plymouth Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2011
    plymouth, massachusetts
    Hi Tonyskillz1983
    I too have been in the septic business for many years here in Massachusetts. I have been checking out the water hauling biz for a while I have a meeting in Jan. with the Mark West co. in Washington i will keep you up dated.

Tonyskillz1983 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.