Questions about TMC Training

Discussion in 'TMC' started by cdr, Feb 26, 2007.

1. BabiBoi357

BabiBoi357 Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Birmingham, Al.
    This is a bit discouraging, I am hoping to start with TMC in the summer as a mewbie.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cplmac2

cplmac2 Heavy Load Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Watford City, ND
    I haven't posted in here in a while but after today I figured what the hell. I got a message on the QC this morning that I needed to call my FM ASAP, so I did. Yesterday I did a swap out and got a different truck as my old one had 494k miles and was heading to training. So I call my FM who tells me that my idle time is at 45%, they download your ECM when you swap out trucks. I told him that some wires got crossed somewhere and that I know my idle time is actually 25%. I watched the shop download my ECM and went over the information with the shop manager so I know what it said. My FM told me I would have to talk to the team leader (his boss), so he patched me through. I told him there was something wrong with the figures he had and he got all kinds of pissy talking about how I was about to change his mood from happy to angry. I told him I was parked by the shop and I'd be happy to walk over and find out what's going on and he said no my FM would call and find out why they would want to send the wrong data as if the only explanation would be the shop WANTING to screw with me. The guy was just a total jagoff. Anyhow I knew I was right and called my fleet manager several hours later at which time he told me that the driver who had the truck before me screwed up and reported the wrong mileage, an absolute TOTAL copout. I gave them my mileage almost every day since the day I got the truck, they just can't bring themselves to say sorry we screwed up. My mileage is 8% higher than the fleet average, and my idle time is a little below average according to the shop manager. So that was a great way to start the day.

Next I got a message on the QC saying I needed to call my safety manager ASAP about damage to the truck. So I called him up and he asked me if I was driving truck number so and so and I said yes. He said the shop called and told him there was damage on the passenger fender that would require replacement. I told him that I had the truck less than 24 hours, and this was news to him. He said okay no problem, you haven't even had the truck out of the yard yet so I'll take care of it no problem.

There is a decided difference between the tact of the safety guy and the total lack of it from the operations guy, I can tell I'm gonna have a lot of fun with the new operations guy as I enjoy embarassing idiots. The safety guy couldn't have been cooler and he was perfectly willing to say oops which is refreshing.

Then at the end of the day we get the fleetwide message that we are no longer using pre-pass. What a shot in the nuts, now we are expected to pay tolls up front and send in the receipts. Also we will need new transponders to get by scales IF we choose to continue paying the rental fees and the deposit. Just pathetic. This has me looking at other companies for the first time, if I find somewhere that looks decent my days at TMC are over. Hopefully I will meet the experience requirements to go somewhere else, but I WON'T be lending TMC money, they don't pay me enough for that.

Ah, better now.
    /rant

4. cplmac2

cplmac2 Heavy Load Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Watford City, ND
    When it rains it pours, I threw the recap off a single about an hour ago. The tire amazingly held full air pressure it just tossed the retread which yesterday morning was so new it still had tire fuzzies on it. Anyhow, this is setting me back 3-4 hours and on time delivery is no longer an option. Blah, I really hope they stop using retreads on the X1 singles, it also tore the hell out of my mudflap and hanger but didn't do any further damage that I can tell. It was the left rear drive tire so I'm sitting on a ramp awaiting the mobile tire guys. Safety was surprised that it was a retread, I'm not sure he believes me but hopefully he puts in a word to stop using them on singles. I really like my safety guy, he is very easy to talk to which is critical for a good relationship with the company.

5. ibcalm1

ibcalm1 Bobtail Member

May 19, 2009
    Philadelphia,PA
    It seems to me TMC doesnt want to keep that big escrow account going with the ezpass times are tough I guess they have to get all they can get. Its good you have somebody over there who has common sense, times are tough and common sense is going to be a rare in tough times. Anyway hope it goes well for you if you have to find another ship to sail with, that can even be tougher nowadays.

6. anuuub

anuuub Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2009
    NC
    A couple questions for any current TMC drivers... Start orientation and should be on the road with a trainer in a few weeks.. I am curious as to life on the road with a trainer for those 4-5 weeks...

1. how does your "typical" average day schedule out? ie.. deliver in AM, head to pickup.. and how do you usually work in your 10 hour break... shower, sleep ..

2. I am sure living with a stranger in a truck for up to 5 weeks gets stressful, any advice??

Many Thanks

7. jbshadow

jbshadow Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Over the road
    There is nothing typical in the life of a driver, you work those things in as you can, p/u/deliver, break, etc, showers are a luxury.

As far as time with your trainer, it's his truck, his rules, ask him what he requires, pack light and do what your told, time will pass quickly.

8. Ignatius

Ignatius Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Tanasi
    I mostly agree with jbshadow. One of the first things I learned about trucking is that the ONE thing you can plan on... is that NOTHING will go according to plan. However having said that, you ALWAYS want to have a plan. In orientation I learned the 6Ps: Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. And it sure does.

Showers are NOT a luxury. Showers are a daily requirement, at least for me they are. And with my trainer... there were actually a couple days that we had two showers on the SAME day, but I was training in the month of July; in the winter, every other day would probably be okay, if necessary.

I still try my best to get a daily shower and it's rare when I don't, however there ARE times when you get delayed at the shipper, and you just can't work one in. For times like this baby wipes are helpful. Now that I'm in my "own" truck, I carry a bottle of alcohol, a few wash cloths and a few hand towels; and I still carry baby wipes, too. I'd advise a package of wipes, just in case your trainer is not too concerned about body hygiene.

You will probably be taking your breaks sometimes, while the trainer is driving. I had a problem sleeping with the truck idling, and/or moving, for the first 6-7 months, and found ear plugs to be very helpful. You may want to bring ear plugs when you go out w/trainer, but I would caution you if you continue to use them after you're on your own: make sure your alarm is loud enough to wake you with them in.

If you are a reader, bring a couple of thick books. A small DVD player w/ear phones & movies could also be useful, if you're not a reader. If you stay out a couple of weeks at a time... weekends can get long without some form of entertainment.

As jbshadow said: Definitely pack light! Ask your trainer about what you will need, and about any extras you want to bring. Make sure he will provide room for them, unless you want to sleep with them. I was lucky; both of my trainers allowed me plenty of storage space, but some will not. I've heard some will tell trainees: "bring whatever you want, but you will be keeping it all with you in your bunk".

You will most definitely need money, and plenty of it, especially if you plan to eat out of truck stops. I found that a bag of apples, a few bananas and some breakfast bars were most useful. Be sure to offer to share (w/your trainer; not to the dude in the truck next door, unless ... well you'll figure that one out).

Most truck stops have HOT water dispensers, and microwaves, so you can perhaps bring a few items like ramen noodles or a couple of pre-packaged meals for the m/w, to lessen your food expenses.

Finally, yes, two fully grown men sharing a space smaller than a prison cell for extended periods of time tend to fray boths nerves. If you get stuck out on the road doing a 34hr reset... go into the truck stop, keep walking, go out the front door (the side for cars), keep walking for a while, take a look around... see anything interesting? If so, go check it out. If not, just keep walking for a while; the exercise won't do you any harm, and the time apart won't either.

anuuub Thanks this.
  9. carterbeauford

carterbeauford Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2009
    northwestern PA
    individually packaged wet ones! in the yellow box.

10. 1laidbacktrucker

1laidbacktrucker Medium Load Member

May 3, 2009
    CHATTANOOGA TN
    do tmc still have their sc yard and do they still train down there

11. wesleyh336

wesleyh336 Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2009
    anywhere nc
    they do still have it but no training there i just got back from des monies

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.