Questions about truck washes

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by TravelK12, Oct 7, 2020.

1. TravelK12

TravelK12 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2020
    This is great info - thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    Industrial strength self serve vacuums with a 20' hose next to the 1st truck waiting to get washed would be a giant plus. Its a giant pain in the rear to get anywhere that I can get my cab vacuumed. And it would serve as a distraction to just sitting and waiting. So far, my truckwash of choice doesnt have them.

bzinger and TravelK12 Thank this.
  6. TravelK12

TravelK12 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Great suggestions - thank you!

7. TravelK12

TravelK12 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Definitely a good idea - I will include that in the suggestions to the owner. Thanks again for you insights!

8. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I pay for my own truck washes
    I wash once a week
    Twice a week in winter keep nasty chemicals used to clear roads off my truck
    I like hand wash truck wash. meaning not a lot of harsh chemicals just sprayed on my paint and acid to eat the wax off paint and ruin my polished aluminum.

If it’s a good quality job drivers who take pride will frequent the wash if done with
    Quality, reasonable amount of time. 45 min per truck and trailer.
    Some prefer quality over speed and half asssed washes.

alds, bzinger, Eowyn and 2 others Thank this.
  9. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Word of warning. Some drivers will be offended by this.
    Like any industry we have malcontents and bad pigs and down right filthy drivers that give this industry a bad reputation.
    I would encourage several cans for trash and cameras in the lots. Unfortunately you could place a trash can right next to a truck and some drivers would still dump the trash on the lot. Cameras to hold the drivers accountable. Nice wide entrances and exits with robust curbs. Drivers will destroy curbs.
    Showers would be nice. But that would require a cleaning staff dedicated to that.
    $12.00 without a truck wash
    $5.00 with a truck wash
    Would have to put a timer on showers otherwise some would be in there for an hour or more.
    Robust counters in bathrooms as well. Some like to sit on the counters in restrooms and wash their feet in the sinks.

alds, bzinger, TravelK12 and 3 others Thank this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    My humble opinion, freebes wont do a whole lot to pull drivers in, especially hats/mugs. People are always throwing that stuff at us. It just clutters the truck until we eventually throw it away.

But if you really wanted to give something away, go with paper towels, plastic bags, window wipes, interior shine wipes, etc.

The industial vacuum cleaner is great idea too.

Im company driver and they have a washer at the yard. But if I owned my own rig Id probably TRY to get it washed bi-weekly.

Edit: I dont use social media or podcasts. I have a couple apps on my phone I use to help with trucking stuff, also GPS for trucks helps me.

Beyond that, just an old-fashioned paper flyer on a billboard in a shipping/receiving office nearby would get me there before anything on Facebook.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  11. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I would be concerned about that location more than anything. You have to get off the toll road, go through a busy intersection, and then down a couple of blocks to reach it... Not to mention its on a dead-end street.

My truck gets washed weekly but to do all of the above seems to be a pretty big hassle versus getting it washed near a truck stop where I can fuel and do everything all at once...

Hitting one of the blue beacons over in Lake Station would be more convenient.

bzinger, TravelK12 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  12. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Minimum wage highschooler and a rainsuit?

alds Thanks this.
  13. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    My company does not pay for truck washes, only washouts. I get my truck washed weekly, sometimes bi-weekly. I like to look good going down the road. As for freebies, mugs and caps are a nice suggestion! Candy will work too...Halloween is coming up and I can't truck or treat with the kids. I don't do social media, though I probably should, it seems to be the thing. Podcasts, sometimes, mainly sports podcasts...to go back to your truck wash question.......I won't go to a truck wash that looks like hell or has a mud lot. I don't even go to those truck stops. There is a truck was in Matthew's, MO that does not have a paved lot, and has potholes of sitting water if enough rain comes through. That makes getting your truck was counter productive. A presentable looking truck wash, with reasonable prices, will get my attention. The new one in Checotah, OK caught my attention, and it was worth the 67 dollars. They did a fantastic job.

James j, alds and TravelK12 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs