Questions for my first truck (Volvo)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by simonsocm, Aug 17, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I knew they were heavy, but didn't know that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Sure they do, but it's going to cost you. I think I have a little over $3500 in the laptop, Windows professional, VOCOM II adapter, cables, PTT software, etc.

Just the software subscription is $1400 per year.

Volvo Trucks North America eMedia Center

4. simonsocm

simonsocm Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Good thing my wife speaks russian and ukrainian then! Thanks

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    so the software break down pretty simple anything bellow 2014 you can not reflash ecu's anything with obdII you can do whatever you want update ecm's and all calibrating and programing you need, before OBD II not going to be able to do anything you dont need vocom nexi works just as well just my volvo laptop is about 3500 all in with adapter and as well as software.

simonsocm Thanks this.
  6. simonsocm

simonsocm Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    I noticed you're in Chicago. Do you have access to a dyno and could you look over a truck for me if you have the time in the next week or 2? Most of the trucks I'm lookin at are in or around chicago.

7. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    i do not have access to a dyno, but if it is volvo d13 with i shift you can check everything with software. what kind of truck are you looking for.

SoDel Thanks this.
  8. Doublewiggle32

Doublewiggle32 Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2016
    A guy my uncle talked to said his iShift went out about a year after he bought it used from a Volvo dealer. He bought a 2014 with 500k miles with a one year warranty. His iShift went out a month after the warranty ended.

It cost him 17.5k and Volvo wouldn't cut him any kind of deal, since his warranty ran out a month before. His ishift went out just before 600k miles!

9. Cabinover101

Cabinover101 Heavy Load Member

Jul 28, 2019
    I have heard some stories like this. Have never driven an Ishift, but would like too, I hear that they are really smooth shifting. What I would like to know is, what is it about them that fails?

10. Doublewiggle32

Doublewiggle32 Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2016
    I've driven a lot of rental trucks in the last 8 months. They were mostly automatics, the paccar one sucks compared to the ishift. Still would much rather have a manual, preferably a 13/18spd.

The paccar auto makes me feel like a hazard with how slow it takes off and how it shifts. The Volvo ones I rarely used manual mode, the peterbilt ones I had in manual basically all day since they shift way too soon.

11. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Half of the time it gets damaged from towing you can not move a truck with drives on ground not even a mile will burn trans unless remove driveline. Other part is cylinder housing other than that clutch. Very seldom Do hears go bad have seen only one so far with 850k on dash and even if I did just top housing that would last another 6 months. Also breach harness very possible.

86scotty and Cabinover101 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.