Questions for Recruiters/Companies as a upcoming CDL graduate

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RussianBearTruckeR, Jan 19, 2019.

1. James j

James j Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2019
    San diego
    Wow another San Diego wanting to leave.When I finally get out of here,I am currently trying to choose between melton or maverick.Moving to either Texas or Arkansas

Solo Soul Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    When you are a rookie, you need to pay your dues somewhere. Stay at your first company for at least one year. Pick up and deliver on time. DO NOT HIT ANYTHING. Do not get any tickets or violations. That will put you in a much better position to choose the company you would like to work for. Unfortunately, over 90% of new drivers never even last a year. Don't be one of those guys. Good luck!

tscottme and Solo Soul Thank this.
  4. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Nay, don't bother with the paying your dues nonsense. If you work for a crap company you'll likely quit in the first year. Companies are desperate for drivers. Some will take new drivers if you meet the rest of their requirements.
    Take advantage of the current job market. Apply to jobs that are beyond your skill level then work hard to learn the skills needed.
    Good luck.

Shadalee and Solo Soul Thank this.
  5. RangersLeadTheWay

RangersLeadTheWay Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2022
    I’m in school right now and Melton is coming at me hard. Have heard good and bad, any advice?

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Make the company put you in contact with drivers in the division you will be hired into. Ask them to describe a typical paycheck, week, schedule, home-time, etc. Recruiter words are worth nothing

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Melton is an excellent choice for a new cdl school grad.
    Where is your location; state & closest town?

8. Eight Omens

Eight Omens Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Central Texas
    I have prior flatbed experience. I took a good look at Melton. They run all 48 and their home time did not fit my needs, this is the only reason I did not apply. The cursory look that I did show they came a long way from a few years ago. Today they look like a much better company and lots of improvements. If you like them, I would not discourage you from going that route. Maverick and TMC are also good options. TMC is 5 days out weekends home for reset. I confirmed this with recent drivers I do have an application in with them. I also confirmed take home pay to be 1500+ per week with drivers. I have not personally contacted or done a deeper dive into maverick. The cursory look I did was also positive. So, for Maverick I would refer to others.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Paul Transportation is right up there with Melton and hires new cdl school grads.
    Home | Paul Transportation | A Top Transportation & Logistics …
    • Possess a valid Class A C.D.L.
    • Hiring Students – must have graduated from a truck driving approved school
    • Minimum of 22 years of age
    • No DWI/DUI in the past 5 years
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Eight Omens

Eight Omens Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Central Texas
    All we need now is a pre emissions pete 379 with a rebuilt cat engine. I am happy with the 10 or 13 speed eaton fullers, but we can negotiate that. And no I do not care about not running in Cali.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    13 speed is a PITA. I drove one with First Fleet running coast to coast.
    I'll take a Volvo automatic over any other transmission.,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.