Questions I should be asking the recruiters?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rutt, Jan 13, 2022.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Many companies pay current drivers if they refer another driver to join the company. There is often some requirement for the new driver to stay at the company 30-90 days. Some people feel that a referral bonus causes current drivers to lie to new drivers to cause them to change companies, just for the bonus. IMO, it doesn't indicate good or bad about the company offering a bonus.

Many companies may offer sign-on bonus to the new driver, once again if the new driver stays a certain amount of time. Sign-on bonus is usually paid over time, either monthly or quarterly in installments. I don't think I've ever heard of sign-on bonus paid in a lump sum. Some drivers think paying a sign-on bonus indicates a trucking company is hiring anyone they can find, or is such a bad employer they have to pay people to walk in the door. I don't think that is accurate. Most companies pay various bonuses, like Performance (loads on-time/no missed days), Fuel (MPG target or no-idling), Retention (you haven't quit). I've heard of a Transition bonus. I'm not sure what that is. I think it's a bonus paid on your first couple of paychecks.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Always communicate via email. Everything will be in writing!

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    @Rutt
    Someone should make a questions list new drivers should ask recruiters. When you gather all of the answers to that questions list new drivers should ask, you will be a good candidate to compile that list of questions for new drivers.

Then we will add it to the 2nd sticky at the top of this very sub-forum. That sticky is called ......... wait for it .......

Questions list for new drivers. :banghead::banghead::biggrin_2556:
    Questions list For new drivers.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Those Dollar accounts aren't that bad. I picked up plasma at many of those places that also have dollar stores. I've never hit anything at those locations, and I remain to this day a guy that's not the best at backing up. I'm just saying.

Backing up in those situations is completely different from backing up at a truck stop or hitting a dock.

7. basedinMN_

basedinMN_ Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    In my experience these recruiters don't know what the hell is up. My advice- get to a terminal, warehouse, wherever actual work is being done. Talk to whoever would be your dispatcher and get the real scoop on what's involved with the job. Get a feel for the guy, some of them are as clueless as the recruiters. Talk to drivers too.

8. Rutt

Rutt Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2022
    I have to agree with this.
    I did talk to Peggy over at Millis Transfer though and can honestly say she knew her ####!
    She was also a driver so she answered all my questions before I asked them. I put in the application so
    we will see where that goes, but it does seem like a good place to cut my teeth from what I read.
    Also the contract and time otr with the trainer is shorter than most others, and the tuition for the school
    is a lot cheaper than all the other ones I talked to. So we will see what happens.
    Thanks for all the replies

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.