Questions list For new drivers.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by trucking for family, Jan 27, 2019.

1. trucking for family

trucking for family Light Load Member

May 11, 2016
    Michigan
    Yes it can be done but they will have you on separate trucks initially unless things have changed. I had a friend do that and they each went with a trainer separately for 6 weeks first.

That was 10 years or more ago now so don’t quote me on it. Things change so fast it may be totally different today..

Your best bet would be to call a few companies and ask them how they handle married teams.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jingerjen

Jingerjen Bobtail Member

May 30, 2019
    Thank you very much!

4. Fairweather

Fairweather Light Load Member

May 8, 2018
    I am aware of three carriers that train husband/wife team together.
    Werner
    Schneider
    Covenant
    I was, briefly, a "two-plus-one" team trainer for Werner. It was... challenging.

5. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I can't even imagine what a special hell that was for you!

Sounds like the worst idea ever to happen in all of training.

6. Fairweather

Fairweather Light Load Member

May 8, 2018
    I still have PTSD from training, seriously.

I run team with my wife now and she is a good driver. Still, if I hear the tires touch the rumble strip, feel a quick lane change, or even notice the engine RPM get up or idle down, I'm awake.

During the team training, I lived on-duty in the passenger seat. At no time did I ever get into the bunk unless the truck was stopped, and it never stopped.

The pay was fantastic for a company driver, $1500 a week minimum or team miles, which usually paid a lot more.

Honestly, it wasn't worth it.

At the time, Werner only had 7 team trainer trucks, not for lack of students wanting in, but for lack of trainers willing and able to handle that kind of stress.

The hardest part, really the impossible task, is staying alert 24/7 and ready to ##### a situation and make a call at a moment's notice.

Tough.

7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    It wasn't worth it because $1500 a week to train people before they upgrade is not enough. I get that driving with my partner who has been driving 2 years. If I drive with another new guy who just recently upgraded I get an extra $250 for that week on top of whatever else I made. And that's still a driver that upgraded.

8. Central_Scrutinizer

Central_Scrutinizer Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2019
    I know that guy. His daughter works for the City flood water control department here and sits all day in front of three big computer screens, two of which have the live security camera videos in them. The cameras being watched are inside unattended automated pumping stations which require scheduled maintenance. There are too many cameras to fit on two screens, but she trolls the internet all day on the third one. Never fear though, because when the technicians go in one of those buildings to clean and check the control systems, the system switches those cameras into the view, replacing those with no activity. This is important for safety. If she's not too busy watching youtube or CNN, she might notice if someone falls into an open pit or gets electrocuted and notify Rescue once her video or online show is over. She's not negligent or anything - If someone happens to sit down on a crate for 30 seconds waiting for the pump house's computer to reboot, she immediately records that camera and reports it so the employee can be disciplined for goofing off.

9. AZSteele

AZSteele Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Arizona
    Thanks for taking the time to create and share that list. Much appreciated.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I was the experienced one with FFE long enough to gain approval to train my spouse according to a 12 week directive with goals for her to acquire skills each week. We were essentially a full team in two weeks, all they really cared is how well she drove forward. This was back in 2000.

What one officer said to me and craved her was to make her a trainer as well for female drivers. We asked what she thought about it and she said oh no Ive done enough taking care of people in the marine corps. Im happy to be with the husband.

And so that is that for that time. She did pretty good. Just a few rough edges. But if she had gone Solo I fear that my training would come up inadequate in many situations she has never been in due to the kind of work we did most of the time. There were times she had to decide what to do with that tractor trailer on her own, and she did surprise me with a successful trip on her own at times.

That truck was auto. The next company and truck was a pure manual. Requiring some weeks of additional training for her. She did ok, grinding and all... but it would be better for her with auto.

11. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    :laughing-guffaw:A righteous statement if I ever heard one! :laughing-guffaw:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.