Questions on sleeping berths

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by will7370, Aug 5, 2009.

1. will7370

will7370 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Can anyone let us new guys know just what a sleeping berth is like? Any photos online? What are the dimensions? Windows? Power outlets? Lights? Air conditioning vents? Radio/Speaker controls? How good is the matress? Thick or thin? How quiet are they? Where do you stow your gear? Is it true some drivers keep a mini-fridge up there? How do you sleep if you have a reefer running close by? Do most guys on driving teams keep an empty 3-liter bottle up there to whiz in (or do they just wait for the next truck stop)?

Seeing how I will be spending half my life in a berth, I thought these questions were appropriate.:biggrin_25518:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
  4. Crash935

Crash935 Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Wyoming Mi
    You can go to every truck manufactures websites and they will have deminsions and pics for all their models.

5. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    As for the reefer, for the most part you get used to it. Most reefers come with 2 run modes. One is continuous, meaning the reefer engine itself runs all the time, and cycle-sentry, or stop-start, which means the engine only starts when the box temp gets above/below your set temp. Usually, most loads run on cycle-sentry, except for temp critical loads like ice cream, produce, some medical supplies and hazmats. Trying to sleep with it on cycle-sentry can be rough, so what I used to do was change it over to continuous when trying to sleep. If the company complained, I just unplugged the electrical connection and they would be none the wiser.

Now if the trucks next to you have reefers on you can always park nose in. Of course, that makes it a bit riskier backing out of the spot when you go to leave, so ya gotta be careful when doing that, but I've found most drivers are pretty courteous when they see a truck backing out of a spot, just make sure ya put yer 4-ways on when doing so. :)

6. Coonass

Coonass "Freshy Fresh"

Sep 23, 2008
    There are pics of the inside of my truck here..........

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...oto-shack-art-gallery/77863-my-new-truck.html

Baack Thanks this.
  7. dukkelisa

dukkelisa Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Colorado
    In our cab, the bottom bunk is larger than the top. If you are solo, you can store quite a bit on the top bunk. We bough dense memory foam mattresses to put on top of the mattresses and that make a huge difference for comfort. I ended up using full flat sheets and tucking them in well, as twin size sheets don't fit length wise. Definitely get some sort of bed cover, as it is going to get dusty! I find that a cotton quilted type fabric works best.

To save most of what we earn, we don't eat at the truck stops. I use the lunchbox ovens to cook our dinners. I had the worse luck with 12 volt coffeemakers, so I ended up using a hotwater pot and pour the hot water into a french press coffee maker. Fab coffee every morning. I can also cook boiled eggs in the hot pot.

We have a fridge, laying on it's side between our seats. Half is food, half is water and soda pop. It also gets used as a table for the qualcom. I bought a old vintage metal magazine holder for husband's maps next to his seat. Over time, we found that we also needed a fan, the window screens for fresh air at night and of course, a computer.

In our cab, we have plenty of storage room, we use most of the cabinets for food storage, but if solo, the small closet would have been used for clothing. There is a pull out table over a cabinet to use, and we have a table-mate, those TV tables that fold and store. YOu can see than one in my icon. I love that table! You can fold down the table part when not in use.

We do not have an APU, so rely on 12 volt appliances. There are 3 in the back with the bunks and one in the cabinet and one up front. You'll need a small converter for your computer.

We have A/C vents in the back, 2 over each bunk and in the front. The radio speakers are in the front over the doors and in the back.

As in all things, you will get use to noise and motion in no time. Yes, it is LOUD. You'll also find your own way of doing things, and things that make your life a bit easier. Small comforts are BIG on the road!

8. Iceman85

Iceman85 Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2012
    lenoir nc
    where do u get the memory foam matresses and about how much are they?

9. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    Yes to all of your questions OP. My sleeper is like a house, since I was a kid I always loved technology so I have all kinds of cool things in my sleeper that no one else thought of. I just bought a new wifi adapter booster so I can pick up wifi signals from nearby hotels and restaurants for free instead of using up all of my bandwidth.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.