Racist trainer at Heartland Express.

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by TruckDriver23, May 22, 2009.

1. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I carry a recorder with me...If I'm pulled over, it's turned on and on my person if asked to get out of vehicle...I will not be subject to a he said she said situation if I can avoid it...I also record every important phone call with a device...If I got into a situation like yours, I would do whatever I could to record that person before complaining so I had a good leg to stand on...You can even use your cell phone by calling an answering machine or such...And yes, I'm aware of recording rules..Whether it can be used in court or not is one thing, when a boss hears it is another...CYA anyway you can...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ghostchild

ghostchild Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2009
    This incident isn't about 'personality clashes'...

It's about a worker, an employer, a trainer, while in uniform and representing HeartLand Express trucking, racially harracing a student...

That's actually a violation of the law...

This issue has nothing at all to do with 'personality clashing'...it has to do with violating federal work place law....

get real please...

http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/harassment.cfm

This is a federal offence, and violates part of the civil rights act of 1964...

4. ghostchild

Jan 16, 2009
    Again...anyone under the sun can choose to not like me or you, and many do not for imagined reasons...

But to do so while carrying out company functions, while on the clock, is liable...

If a Roto-Rooter plumber came to my home talking about how much he dispised green skinned crossdressers, than yes, not only him, but the company he works for becomes liable for said statement.

If that same plumber is at a bar, off duty, and says he doesn't like green skinned crossdressers...than there's really nothing any one could do accept walk away or confront...

But at a bar, he's free to say or express whatever while representing himself...
    (although company still reserves right to can him if they feel his off duty actions reflects badly on the company and or could hurt their business)

Although when he gets outside, there may be a bunch of green skinned crossdressers waiting for him...

[​IMG]

5. Steering Wheel Holder

Steering Wheel Holder Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Uhmerrica
    Should people be arrested for hating? What if you hate your employer or boss? Should you be arrested and have to register your whereabouts every 30 days?

:biggrin_2559:

6. ghostchild

Jan 16, 2009
    The trainer broke a federal work place racial harracement law...

http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/harassment.cfm

It has been determined by the courts that people have a right to a work place enviornment free from sexual or racial or political harracement...

The student was half black or white, and the trainer was useing the N-word and suggesting other racist things, like telling the driver they should of rammed a car full of black people...

Do you just not get it, that type of work place harracement is illegal...

And I garuntee, if someone did it to you, whatever you sensitive point may be, you'd be the first to complain....

Heck, even on this forum, your not free to 'harrace' someone...

7. ghostchild

Jan 16, 2009
    Some of you so miss the point...

No one nowhere suggested anyone be arrested for 'hating'....

But there are what's known as codes of conduct that employees must abhere to while at work and conducting company business...

It just amazes me how people go so out of the way to justify their own inner biases, to the point that the example they use have nothing to do with what the OP initially wrote about...

8. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Who dug this old thread up lol.
    I would really read into the situation.
    Heartland has never, and will never take on new drivers. They did not even take drivers with less than 3 years experience till a few years ago. So if that person had a trainer, then they would have had to be an experienced driver that was doing a refresher.
    No, if this event actually occurred, it was wrong. But this was not some naive new driver.
    And should have known how to deal with the situation from the start.
    I have always had a hard time believing that the original post was accurate though. Since heartland is not a training company. And does not take trainees. And never has.

kaptsbaby Thanks this.
  9. Steering Wheel Holder

Steering Wheel Holder Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Uhmerrica

Sounded funny that some racist would not notice that the dude riding in his cab was half-black.

10. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Remember, he recorded the phone call ???

11. BretStep

BretStep Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I fail to see why you have sought legal representation. Based on what you have said, the individual has his opinions. Right or wrong, there are just his opinions. Unless he discriminated against you in some way , I fail to see what he did that was ILLEGAL. Bad attitudes and opinions is not a crime. Yes, the guy has issues. But, you decided to be offended to the point where you made the choice to get out of the truck. You were not thrown out or abandoned or threatened.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.