Ram 3500 vs 4500

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Tonytruck98, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Tonytruck98

Tonytruck98 Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2021
    Well in my original post I stated the better brains would be found here. Back to truckpaper.com it is. I will be back home to discuss it with him and see what he thinks. I’ll have something found in a single screw option for him to look over a new explains the benefits it would bring. I haven’t laid eyes on a setup for both kingpin and gooseneck on a single screw. Is there a kingpin adaptor for the gooseneck. Just a guess there.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Gooseneck to Kingpin Adapter (Round or Square) | Nationwide Trailer Parts

Yes round & square adapters for the type of post the gooseneck is spec'd with..

I'd recommend a 5th wheel either way whether be it 4500 or single axle road tractor. I've pulled with both, & the 5th wheel gives a much nicer ride..

clausland and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  4. Tonytruck98

Nov 18, 2021
    I suppose the fifth wheel would ride even better than the shocker bag? I personally have not pulled the shocker but have some friends that love the hell out of them. Puts them on all his livestock trailers.

The more I think about this the better off he would be with a single screw. Sleeper, bigger everything but in the end I’ll go with what he’s comfortable with. Good, reliable guy that is going to do things right. He will be getting a “gentle push” from me into the single screw direction though

5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    So here is where it gets tricky IMO..
    If you talk him into a tractor than why mess around pulling one a these?
    20190916_153032.jpg

When he can pull one a these? Lol:D
    20200110_134703.jpg

A step, or even 48' skateboard will at least open the door to many lightweight full loads. Don't have to play the LTL game near as much. Don't have to get turned away because the shipper refuses to load hotshots for whatever ridiculous reason they have that day..

You can make a living as a 4 axle step for sure, but at that point may as well just run a regular 5 axle rig because you end up still limiting ones self..

I don't have the right answer, maybe y'alls freight dictates a 4 axle is plenty.? But even the traditional 40' hotshot hurts sometimes..

So if you go 4500 or an old single axle, maybe think about a stepdeck instead of a gooseneck. Then he can grow into a larger truck if desired.. This is the convoluted path I took anyhow.. lol

Might as well show her :eek:
    20211229_160757.jpg

Flint1, clausland and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  6. Tonytruck98

Nov 18, 2021
    I got off of the phone with him about an hour ago. We talked for about an hour about the pros and cons. After the conversation he said of course he would be more comfortable in a pickup but doesn’t want to limit himself to hot shot loads only. It will be a little bit of a learning curve but I have a day cab freightliner and my 42 and 50ft grain trailer he can practice with. The road will be a whole other story.

I have the utmost confidence in him and don’t see any problems with him learning quickly.

Thinking I will be looking in the freightliner cascadia area for his first truck. Step deck arena also.

SO, this 3500 bs 4500 thread ended up with this answer……Get a #### semi! Lol!!

THANKS EVERYBODY!!

7. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    I’ve had two Ram 3500, currently have a 4500 and a semi truck. There is no comparison when talking about a 3500 and 4500/5500. If you want to run a hotshot get the chassis cab. If you want to run a semi your in the wrong forum!

8. Tonytruck98

Nov 18, 2021
    Thanks for the advice bud. I’ll pack my things and go.

9. Tonytruck98

Nov 18, 2021
    Midwest 1. Well maybe you can answer for the hot shot guys….Why are there so many 3500’s on the road? I’m not being a smart ### I’m truly curious. Are they following the Enterprise model of leasing to 65,000 miles or is it some other reason? This should be the right placed for that question. Also, thanks for chiming in, as you did, with specifics on why the 45 and 5500 are much better. I’m sure the next people who read the title of this thread, who also have the same question, will have all they need to know after you respond. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  10. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    I started out with a 3500 with the Aisin transmission. There a good hotshot truck but as you get more miles under your belt you realize there’s better options. The reason you see more 3500 trucks is there more readily available. Pre Covid you could go to and dealership and they have 3500 dually trucks sitting there. Want to get a chassis cab with the specs you want your must likely going to have to order it. Most stock chassis cabs the dealers have are all with the max tow 4.44 or 4.88 gears, lots of two wheel drives, and all are mostly stripped down Tradesman editions. I currently have a 2020 4500 Laramie that I ordered exactly the way I wanted it. I put a CM hauler body on it and it’s a great truck. If you have any questions pm me and I can help you out.

11. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Most all running single axel semi trucks started with a 3500 or 4500.
    Most were told not to do it and get a semi truck.
    Most didn’t listen and thought that the smaller truck was the way to go.
    Most have numerous battle scars and a dismal bank account that proves this wasn’t a good decision.
    Making the decision you just did put you light years ahead of the curve and on track for a successful business with minimal heart ache.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.