Ramps or no ramps?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Oscar the KW, Aug 6, 2012.

1. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    I tend to be pretty conservative...don't like problems.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lonelyswmtrucker

lonelyswmtrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2011
    down the bayou
    cpape, i wish yall would run down to louisiana, lol

4. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    Thanks...I actually had 2 trucks that delivered in Waterproof, LA this week, but that is pretty rare.

5. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I have the 24" wide heavy duty ramps. weighs about 1000 lbs 4 - 8 ft ramps and stands. I left them at home once because I wanted to haul a load where I needed the extra weight. cost me twice, because one good load wanted ramps and one good load I needed bridges.

Heck, carry em it's good exercise moving them to the back when you need the top deck and to the front when you need the bottome deck !! Or maybe you're smart and have the hangers ?

6. Motownfire

Motownfire Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    The Great State of Texas
    Keep the ramps. I rarely use mine but I sure am glad I have them when I need them.

SHC Thanks this.
  7. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I have the HD ramps also, their supposed to be good for 40,000 each. My old trailer had racks that they sat in, but with the way the knee braces are on my new trailer those racks won't work. I would have to get those actual hangers for this trailer. I won't keep them on the deck as we have so many loads that require the deck to be free from tarps, ramps, etc. I will leave them in the shed for a little while and see what happens. As far as the extra weight the new trailer is supposed to be lighter than the old one so that shouldn't matter. I rarely haul anything over 40,000lbs any way.

SHC and dannythetrucker Thank this.
  8. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I saw one guy that had removed the decking between the rails towards the front of the lower deck. He had installed a box there. When he put his ramps in the box they were flush with and served as decking. It looked like a pretty good idea to me because generally when you haul something requiring ramps the wheels are wider than the rails, and when you haul pallets or something you can put them on top of the ramps. Then he just had some hangers for the stands.

9. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    My Question: On the ramps? Do you own them free and clear?, are you making payments on them?, then they cost you nothing to keep them?, How much could you get for them?, and how long will that money last you?, sell the ramps and buy load levelers, DId you say they do double as leveler?, Then, If I was you, I'd keep the ramps,

10. Grumman

Grumman Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Locust Grove, GA
    Keep em, if you're gonna run a step you might as well become as specialized as you can. I noticed a lot more ramp loads once I got them. The do work for getting you out of a dead area sometimes. They're about as fun to set up as tarping. I try to charge for set up. A wise man once told me don't ever buy something thinking people are gonna pay you more for it. Buy it if you think it'll help you out. I know some of the brokers moving dod try to move vehicles on steps with ramps but are getting rgn rates. Some are trying to take 50%. So if you gotta use them, make sure the pay is there.

11. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    They are far to much work to drag around for free.

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.