Rand McNally intelliRoute TND 500

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by FrankM, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Coonass

Coonass "Freshy Fresh"

Sep 23, 2008
    For me my Tom Tom does the preview perfect. Once I put in a route
    it shows a map of the route but does not provide hwy numbers on this
    map. If I want to see hwy numbers then I press the button for a turn
    by turn list.

For example once it plots a route and I see that the route is not the way
    that I would like to go on the map then I can make it find a alternate
    route or use the travel via button to make it go the way I would like.

I would love for the TND to be able to do this.

At this time I would have to use the multi stop option to kind of get it to
    go the way I would like.

If you have access to a Tom Tom check out how it does the route preview.

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!

It kills me when companies come out with these products before they have done all the proper testing on them.
    Peoples lives and jobs are at stake here!:biggrin_25516:

4. Dave 1960

Dave 1960 Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    On the other hand perhaps by the someday I can afford one it will be the GPS of my dreams.

5. TruckerDude53

TruckerDude53 Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Buckeye, AZ
    when is this mega-update going to be available?

6. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    RM Beta Testers are doing some final testing. Next week it goes to QA for their final testing. Barring no major issues it should be released within the next two weeks at the outside right now..

Beta Testing is cleaning up some small issues and I am just now getting up to speed over my illnesses, but what the Testers have tested and given back, it is a very good version.

Once it goes to production I will be posting some "how-to's" on some of the new features.

Thanks,
    Mark

TruckerDude53 Thanks this.
  7. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I agree that People lives and jobs are at stake here. RM Beta Testers are all active drivers whom test the TND in their daily course of driving.

I work about 14-17 hours a day, 7 days a week testing and supporting you, the Beta testers and working on new features.

RM knows that you depend on this product daily. But, like all products features and issues found are given priorities. RM tried to get as many as they could of new features and tested. Other issues in prior versions were found, fixed and tested. Sometimes issues may take days to find the reason. I know of one issue in multi-stops that took us 4 days of testing and research to finally find the root cause.

I have posted my E-mail here for everyone, I have talked to a few of you via E-mail or on the phone. I have driven 90 miles one way to update a unit for driver at 8pm at night.

So Yes, Rand McNally does take this product very seriously. They know whom the product is bought by. RM is commited to you.

Thanks,
    Mark

8. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    That is good to know and I appreciate all of your efforts!

9. musicmaker

musicmaker Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Fort Madison, IA
    It definately takes some getting use to like all the others. It operates much like windows does. The part of it I use the most is you can plan your route by picking it on the screen rather than the route it comes up with. I pull a RGN so that comes in real handy with the routes given on the permits.

The biggest downfall with it is finding the exact number address, it seems to have a problem with that. If you put in 618 main st, it may come back with 612 main street. The 2nd downfall is if its a city that has more than one county you have to try the different county's until you have the right one. Putting in the ZIP instead of the city eliminates that problem. I havent recieved their updated map software as of yet so it may be better after that. Its nice having a unit I can play all my mp3 files, (has a headset jack on it)

On the up side it has never put me under a low overpass or on a non truck route. It will take you at least a month to learn all its quirks

10. Nuudge

Nuudge Bobtail Member

Still looking for the day of no routing errors.

Needs a pause routing button for rest stops, weigh stations, and fuel stops. Pull into any of these and you are subject to a re-calculated route. So if verified before now have to verify again. Not doing so = nasty 2 lane in Maine mountains.

Routing East on I70 through Columbus will tell you to follow 315N. Great tell Rand, if I did follow cost $30 in fuel. Follow it through Providence and get a $3000.00 award for the I95 bridge if you get trapped to the left with traffic. 15,000 plus tickets so far.

POS is great car GPS, never was designed for trucks just adapted.

11. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    1. A pause button will not work, simply because the moment you released the pause the GPS will sense your new location. Thus, it will recalute.

2. No idea on Maine. You give no references.

3. You talk about Columbus OH? on I-70 then you are now on I-95 in Providence, RI? Their are a few more states between them.

4. You have gotten $15,000 in fines so far? From following the TND? The TND is tool, if you have gotten $15,000 in fines so far then you are not using all the "TOOLS" in your truck.

5. The TND was never a car GPS. It was designed as a TND. Truck Navigation Device.

6. Do you actually own a TND 500? Or just claim to have one?

Thanks,
    Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.