Rand McNally or Garmin

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mototom, May 18, 2021.

1. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Hammer failed a very simple task...
    I entered my location 3 times and it kept showing another place. My address is absolutely correct but Hammer thinks it's somewhere else far away... :biggrin_1square1:
    So... I would not get Hammer
    I have used CoPilot before in my previous company and I kinda liked it... in combination with my old basic very simple Garmin for straight trucks....
    The new GPS nowadays have way too much stuff... what is most important to me is restrictions and low overpasses... the road atlas doesn't show it all...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. H3R3T1C

H3R3T1C "Question Everything"

Oct 4, 2013
    Hammer is free so your silly if you don't at least have to check other platforms against.

That said, I had the RM TDM 500 way back when then upgraded to the 720, never has any real problem other then the usual but for me RM has horrible hardware issues which causes software restrictions. Garmin seems to be a better hardware platform but I havent actually owned one yet.

My buddy who does heavy haul seems to like his allot, im kinda of shopping once again to get one but I might be hanging up the OTR hat and staying local so I may just stick with hammer. Who knows.

For Free its awesome, but it does have its drawbacks.

4. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Bought a Garmin dezl500 OTR.
    Played some with it...
    So far not happy.
    My old Garmin Nuvi was better than that
    Will play with this a little more but disappointed n thinking I might return it n try something else.
    Would be happy to get another Garmin Nuvi somewhere.... but can't remember what model that was...

H3R3T1C and MidWest_MacDaddy Thank this.
  5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I got it myself.
    Company did provide coPilot. Didn’t work too often. Other little experience I had with it I wasn’t crazy about it.

I haven’t seen yet where I can turn all that stuff off? Haven’t wanted to.
    One thing I really like is the satellite view. Can expand or contract it instantly. Look at stuff around me or the area. Very orienting.
    Hammer’s satellite view isn’t quite the resolution of TP. But Hammer is free.
    I have to admit. Maybe because I’ve used it so much. Am used to it. Garmin has to be king with me. It’s too good at a lot. Admit it’s also goofy as all of them are. Still have to run another (TP) to be happy. I am considering an OTR 800. I like the window above the steering wheel placement. Thinking a 1000 would be too big. Otherwise would consider it.

Rocks Thanks this.
  6. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

I got the OTR 700 and comparing it with my Garmin LMTS series it’s way better. I did a side by side for a month before I switch the LMTS to another screen. Now I have elevation, speed and other info while my OTR runs the route. I hated the RM when I first started trucking and stuck with Garmin. Just way better.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  7. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I’ve run into the bit of not coming up with an address. Or way off. That with all of them.
    Sometimes. I try the address again later. Brings it up?
    Sometimes i force it by spelling everything out and include the zip code.
    I still suspect they’re playing with the signals. Rationalize it’s the attitude of against the general public. With everything high tech.

Rocks Thanks this.
  8. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I have my OTR 700 connected via my phone for wifi and Bluetooth using the Garmin app, it updates the software and maps when there is an update available.

yet I do come up with addresses that don’t come up, usually this is due to new contructions, to get around that I find an address that’s maybe 100ft down and route to there. Then use common sense to get to my address. It’s nerve racking but that last mile is always completed with google maps and my eyes.

9. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I have elevation, speed, and other info on my 770 lmts? If a person looks into it. The thing does a lot. Even keeps track and adds up mileage in different states. So you can easily do your fuel taxes.
    I often use the Garmin for my speedometer. Simply because it’s positioned better. Mine will take an external camera wireless. But doesn’t have a wired plug for a camera.
    So what do I get more with an OTR?
    I have had to look into it. Does appear the new OTR has upgraded hardware. More memory. Mine will get confused or crash if asked to do too much in a short time. Which is a big reason I’m considering upgrade. I have a large SIM card installed. Garmin told me last update. I have much critical info and map info on the card now. Be careful with it. I’m maxed out.
    Otherwise I’m doubting you know what you’re talking about.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    Rocks Thanks this.
  10. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Rocks... on the far away.
    I have found at times. It’s like the electronics are demanding a WiFi signal. Without it. Throwing location off by dozens of miles. As if they’re trying to manipulate us into using WiFi. I don’t.
    Otherwise when I was in an old truck. Guy had this ELD from some company. It would bleed RF in the cab. Threw off all my gps. All of them by 50 miles or more. I disconnected the darn thing. Got my location back.

Rocks Thanks this.
  11. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I have also run into truck stops where I had a tough time getting cell/data. York NE Petro and Pilot Amarillo TX. Just move away from the truck stop and signal ok.
    I can only rationalize their WiFi is blocking/interfearing with cell/data?

Rocks Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.