Rand McNally TND 740 "GPS not responding"

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Drive for AAT, May 29, 2018.

1. Drive for AAT

Drive for AAT Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Yesterday my 740 worked fine. Today, I can't get past the red truck GPS splash screen that you get when you try to go to maps or destinations or settings when you first turn the unit on. After it sits on the red truck gps screen for a few minutes, I get a message that says "Truck GPS is not responding. Do you want to close it?" I can't find any way to reset the unit. I was able to update it this morning but that didn't help. Truck tools works except for quick route. If I need the GPS for anything, I get the not responding message. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? I hate to buy another unit as this one is less than a year old.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wise2727

wise2727 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    I have a very similar problem on my 7:30. What I did was I unplugged it, let it completely die, leave it off for a few hours after that, then plug it back in. Not sure why but that was apparently the reset mine needed, and it's been working fine since.

tscottme and Drive for AAT Thank this.
  4. Drive for AAT

Jul 20, 2015
    Here's the solution I got (and it worked) from RM Support: Connect the 740 to your computer. Find it in the file explorer. Click on it. Click on the Navi folder. Inside the Navi folder click on the User folder. In the User folder there are 2 files that end in .ini. They are basically your personal preferences. Delete those files. Unplug the 740 from the computer. Restart the 740. That's it. Fixed. RM somehow messed up one line of code in the latest update and this is the work around. If you turn off the unit, you will have to go through this again.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  5. GregD

GregD Bobtail Member

May 26, 2018
    I have the same issue.. I already tried this fix.. At first it worked. Then I shut it off for a day, when I turned it on it did the samething.... Not responding!
    I guess those files repair themselves and goes back to the samething once they repair themselves!!
    It started when the last update came out..

6. Drive for AAT

Jul 20, 2015
    The tech told me to do another update and it should hold.

7. GregD

GregD Bobtail Member

May 26, 2018
    I'll have to wait for another update to come..
    I'm up to date...

8. Drive for AAT

Jul 20, 2015
    GregD, you were right. I turned it off and it quit responding again. Guess I'll have to go through this until they fix the update. At least I don't have to buy a new unit. I guess that's the silver lining.

9. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
  10. Chaosn18whls

Chaosn18whls Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2013
    I didn’t even do an update and it did the not responding to me as well. Did an update today and still nothing..BTW it’s the tnd 80 and my eld is paired with it.

11. GregD

GregD Bobtail Member

May 26, 2018
    I think this latest update cured the issue.. I reinstalled my backed up address book too... It took and is working fine... Im keeping my fingers crossed it remains working!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.