Random air line leaking when press brakes... Anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Green461, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Green461

Green461 Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    Truck is a 2001 KW T800, this is just under the drivers seat mounted under cab, view is from above the fuel tank. There are 3 lines that go nowhere (1 orange 1/4" and 2 black 1/4") and nothing in the area to indicate they ever went to anything. When I hold the brake pedal the orange 1/4" line hisses and the air gauge drops fast. The 2 black ones seem to do nothing, just open. I cant find any schematics so hoping someone on here has a clue. Anyone know what this air line is to? An air tank is on the other side of the frame and then the trans so very hard to trace. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    They had to go somewhere, look for more open lines, on other side of plate. Looks like 3 of the 4 holes in plate were being used. They’re clean, the one is dirty. Wasn’t being used. No telling where it goes. A good Truck specific mechanic is needed.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  4. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    There is nothing anywhere. The area around the plate is pretty open and visible I looked everywhere, the front side of that plate looks pretty unused, I cleaned the area pretty good so that might be misleading. Hopefully someone truck specific will chime in, no truck specific mechanics within 50 miles from me that are trustworthy, i dont trust anyone touching my stuff.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    In confused isn’t there suppose to be a fitting that makes the orange connect with the orange and back with black? Maybe just popped out fittings broke? Hard to tell cuz I’m not there messing wit it

stillwurkin and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Could br left overs from a PTO pump or tanker, cap them off ?

stillwurkin and Dino soar Thank this.
  7. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    There are only 3, 2 blacks and 1 orange. They were very dirty, even the ends, I cleaned them off to get a good picture. There is a number on the orange one, 85, but I cant find any schematics to look it up.

No, there was no PTO on this truck. I want to make sure they are not important or an indicator something is wrong before capping them, I dont know if its a Haldex or Bendix foot valve, but Haldex troubleshooting say it is a relay valve or a "quick release and double check valve combination" symptom ... if thats where this orange tube goes? The #85 printed on it suggests its a factory hose, I just need to dig more i guess.

8. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Another driver had a pic. of a new double CK. valve this week he had just put on somewhere He was was asking what it was an why it cost so much>?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  9. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Interesting well bend those hoses putba zip tie to hold them folded then go inside push down on the brake pedal and see what happens.
    If nothing then cap it off and forget it.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I would at least check the operation of each brake on the truck, in case the line is supplying a valve.

11. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    It definitely is, because it hisses upon pedal application.

Probably a pin hole wear, or loose fitting.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.