Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Praxair pays well. If you go that route hopefully the position isn't running a cylinder truck and is a bulk tank. Guys at my company that run cylinder trucks get physically worn over time moving those cylinders and have a high rate of developing carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm so glad that the only trucks at my yard are bulk tanks.

Jay5GS Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    McVeigh would downvote that on a Reddit thread.

jmz and Cardfan89 Thank this.
  4. Jay5GS

Jay5GS Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    bulk tank only baby !!! im not lugging cylinders

truckguy391 and McUzi Thank this.
  5. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    tenor.gif

truckguy391 and Jay5GS Thank this.
  6. Jay5GS

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    McUzi Thanks this.
  7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    The yard at my office that is accessible to the public has a driveway and parking lot in the shape of a horseshoe. My yard is also located next to an Amazon drop lot where they keep hundreds of trailers on site and drivers are coming in to drop and hook through all hours of the day.

My yard however, is like flypaper to the inexperienced driver that misses their turn into the Amazon drop lot and many of these drivers think that they can use the driveway to turn around to go back to the drop lot. Unfortunately for them, there are two large boulders placed in the grass where you would swing the trailer to make a successful turn to prevent a trailer going through the grass and tearing up the landscaping.

A JB Hunt driver today got more than she bargained for. I got back from finishing my run around 1130 this morning, by the time I filled the truck up with gas, parked it and did my post trip, it was around 1230. I got into the office and engaged in the typical banter that I do with the rest of the guys.

One of the counter sales guys yelled back to us "Hey guys, get a load of this, a JB Hunt truck can't get out of the lot".

Myself and the other 2 drivers went to go look and we watched for a good 15 minutes while the JBH driver tried to get herself out of the lot. We offered to help spot her and try to give her instructions on how to get herself out of the situation.

The one driver we have that doesn't have a Class A volunteered either of us to get her truck out of the lot for her. She pulled her brakes and got out of the truck with tears rolling down her face and she was visibly flustered.

I would typically ignore it and let them figure it out, with or without helping to spot. But in this case, something rang true that she was very fresh to having a CDL and was in over her head.

She asked if one of us would get her truck out of the parking lot and for one reason or another, I went against my typical knee jerk reaction of "No" and hopped into the cab to get her out. I genuinely felt really bad for her because it it was very visible that she lacked sufficient training to run her truck properly.

I can't stress enough to people that if you miss your turn and are unfamiliar with the area, use the roads to turn around (keep driving and bring yourself back to the destination) and if you're going to be gutsy enough to try to turn around on private property, at least stop and do a thorough assessment of whether your truck can negotiate any obstacles in your path.

8. Jay5GS

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles

if the person is truly a new driver and i'm off the clock ill jump in the cab help a driver out. but it truly has to be a situation where i know i can help....

when i worked at this production rental company, they would store client equipment like trailers , trucks, gear and i remember when one of our guys hooked up to the clients custom 28 foot grip trailer ( photo below ) with a normal tandem axle freightliner and when backing he destroyed the jockey box with the bumper . well we had a meeting and the first thing i said was " that trailer is made for the clients custom truck but since you guys made him pull the trailer with our equipment its the companies fault. long story short they stopped having us moving clients equipment.
    Tractor-Mounted-Generators3.jpg

i remember when i was team driver with maybe 3 hours of experience my co driver got off an exit some where in Texas and it took him to a dead end where he had to u turn the 53 sleeper. i got out the cab and man he was like 2 inches from sending that trailer into the sleeper lololololol

Texas_hwy_287, McUzi and truckguy391 Thank this.
  9. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I made a very similar rookie mistake a while ago. Took a pup down a dead end street after a delivery, and when my usual turn-around spot was blocked, I continued until I came to this driveway. Trailer ran over one of the rocks and I scraped the crap out of my truck in those shrubs on the right, but I did make it out on my own. Learned my lesson that day.

7CAECAFC-BD35-4B54-9323-AC3B841C4F84.jpeg

road_runner, Cardfan89, Jay5GS and 4 others Thank this.
  10. LPjunior1970

LPjunior1970 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I took a set down a dead end road that my GPS said led to the terminal I was headed to for the first time lol.. I could see pups and dollys behind a fence when I turned down the road but I failed to see the gate was on the opposite side of the yard on a different road. Thankfully there was room to break the set and bring it around the corner piece by piece.. The jockey said yea you’re not the first one to make that mistake. It was right then and there that I stopped relying on GPS exclusively.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I did that once too.

I took the wrong right turn going to a terminal a few years ago. The back of the barn faces that road, but you can’t get in from there.

Getting out of that one required breaking the set, turning each trailer around, and putting them back together in the middle of a country two lane at 5:00 AM.

The Shadow, Cardfan89 and LPjunior1970 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.