Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I had a sit down interview with them yesterday at the Maspeth terminal after fetching my abstract from the DMV.

Problem is they get hundreds of qualified applicants, because there really are no special qualifications to be a package car driver beyond having a relatively clean driving and criminal history. Having a class A license with a TX endorsement and a TWIC card doesn't get you any special consideration (I jokingly asked there were any feeder jobs that needed filled:biggrin_2559:.)

It's a good job if you can get it. I would certainly jump on it if they ended up calling me back for "further processing." (lol)

Marksteven Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
  4. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Yeah, after doing about 6 months of peddle work in Brooklyn and Queens I can tell you nobody pays enough around here to put up with what you gotta put up with. ABF was particularly awful with the inside deliveries and U-pack (Ihelptoo-pack) assignments. At least the truck I drove at ODFL had air conditioning...nothing like a nice muggy 90 degree, 12 hour work day in Brooklyn with no A/C in the cab! I have my limits.

Thanks.

5. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    Yesterday i made a residential delivery to an upscale home. A very Polite great looking women was home and asked if i can roll the skid into the garage. Sure no problem i said. We made a little small talk and sure enough her Hubby did 36 years in a parcel car and now works at the hub 4 hrs. a day. I told her the biggest mistake i made was not applying to UPS in 92 when i left the Military. Today i still regret it.

Shaggy, superpet39 and road_runner Thank this.
  6. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Few days ago, Possibly witnessed the greatest show on earth.

A home grown LTL trucking company about 80 trucks. Older fella pulls along side me at the vendor. We both exit the cabs, walk inside together, throwing random bs about the day.
    Never seen this fella before, laid back about mid 60's tall fella in black overalls and roughed up boots. He ask me where the office is, I point to it. He says thanks buddy.

This dude peaked my interest. watching him through the office window. No yelling nothing. She picks up the phone. Meanwhile the regular loader says watch this to me!

Confused look and ask him wtf. " trust me, watch this"

1 suit fella shows up to the office, Another suit fella shows up to office, Then another suit.

Long story short: This old fella was the owner, Hasn't been paid in over 3 months from a giant multi-billion vendor and wanted to collect his payment.
    Wish i could name the MA&POP LTL company. They pay very well and best of equipment.

Asked the normal driver for this company on friday what was up, Oh,the owner still is active doing P&D when he thinks something is going wrong.

No clue if he received payment, but to walk in where the rest of peddlers go and have the suits running to him. This fella earned my respect

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    No regrets. The strike in 1998 you could of said F*** this crap and walked off never to return. 6 years invested with little return.... no regrets. Crap happens mark. still employed old man :biggrin_25525:

Marksteven and OPUS 7 Thank this.
  8. Marksteven

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    I remember the strike of 98, we had our trailers Stuffed with their freight. Shippers just put parcels on any carriers trailers that hit their docks

Shaggy Thanks this.
  9. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Would not regret any bit of that crap. You would still be shaking your head and getting/filing grievances to this day if your worked for UPS. I had 14 filing and 2 against me during my short time, It's another world. should be glad not to experience Us vs Them.

Marksteven Thanks this.
  10. Marksteven

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx

Talked to a friend yesterday at a customer. He has 34 years in a Parcel car. Waiting to pull the plug and get a P/T gig doing cleaning at the Hub. Wondering how he made it this long without major injuries. I have 3 surgeries under my belt already.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  11. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Mark don't regret it. I have lifer brownies friends born from the start of being paid $8.50hr 20 hr weeks, 9 years later finally doing feeder That is brown molded for life and never experienced any other CDL job, Awesome folks and earned their pay, on the other spectrum never experienced different types of fun their is. Reefers,Walking floors, flatbled, dumps etc. No regret in my life either, Next up tanker, because i have this awesome tanker stamp.Thanks LTL, never would of gotten it unless mandatory, Welp if LT don;t work out we can do haz tanker now.

Jack of all trades master at none :biggrin_25519:

crazeydude and Marksteven Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.