Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    All we have is dear around here no tree stand needed.
    You sure were near my stomping ground. Did you see the GFS yard where I work. Were right around the corner from your terminal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    On my way on to work tonight, I came up on a UPS set of doubles throwing a roostertail of sparks from his left rear. His inside tire was flat and beginning to come apart. The outside tire was gone, leaving just a bare rim dragging the road.

I tried to get his attention, but he just flipped me off and kept going. How someone could not notice that, I don't know.

4. 1catfish

1catfish Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2010
    you know those guys are too important to stop........:rolleyes:

darthanubis and Mike2633 Thank this.
  5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Mine this morning was a log hauler with a brake fire. Probably a wheel seal / bearing failure actually. I was smelling it for miles. Luckily I caught up to him and got him to pull over right as it developed into full-blown flames. His extinguisher took care of it despite multiple flare-ups, so I was able to save mine. That could've been real bad if the wood caught fire.

My dash cam has been messing up lately and I have to return it for a warranty replacement, otherwise I might have gotten some decent footage!

Naptown and Mike2633 Thank this.
  6. Naptown

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    What dash cam do you have? I've been thinking it's a good idea to upgrade the cheap one I've been using. One of our guys has one with a second camera that he clips on the right mirror to watch that side as well as record the front. It saved his job a few months ago when a car coming off a ramp sideswiped him then ran.

7. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I'd like to make sure they do the right thing before I officially "recommend" their product, but the one I got was the Zero Edge Z3 model recommended at the time by the product-review site called The Wirecutter. They have an updated recommendation there now due to new models continually coming out. There are just so many brands and models out there that it can be a really difficult subject to research. I just wanted someone to make the decision for me. They seem to do thorough testing, so you might wanna check out The Wirecutter site.

One of the reasons I got the one I did was an 18-month warranty. These things just take so much abuse in big trucks; 18 months doing linehaul is the equivalent in miles to what many cars would travel in 10 or 15 years, not to mention all the extra vibration and such.

Before it started getting glitchy, I thought mine worked well. You can see example videos (recorded at less than the highest video quality it's capable of) on these posts of mine:
    and here -

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Our TM told us this morning in a meeting that we have a theft problem.

I don’t know where that may be, but I certainly know where it’s not.

9. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Someone(s) in the billing department really need a short sharp shock.

We get our Delivery Receipts in formats of 1-4 pages. It includes all the instructions such as DO NOT HOLD, ACCESSORY CHARGES MUST BE APPROVED BY SOANDSO, and a bunch of numbers and BS that are only of interest to some drone sitting in an office somewhere.

Does it include the consignee's phone number, included on the original BOL? No.

Does it include the full address, with unit/suite number, included on the original BOL? No.

Do some of them even include the customer's actual name, included on the original BOL? No.

Does it include anything, included on the original BOL, which would possibly be of relevance to the driver actually trying to deliver this crap? No.

Seriously, would it be too much to ask that in this pile of dead trees, hidden among a million instructions that we already mostly know by heart anyway, there would be information that we, as drivers, might actually find useful??

10. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    I always like p.o. box addresses and when a company changes names and they don't change the name on invoices or my personal favorite a bill to ship to where you unload the stuff somewhere for some one else and the customer has no idea

darthanubis, misterG, MACK E-6 and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Naptown

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    My favorite delivery story was a large bundle of steel tubing ordered by a contractor doing a construction project at a company that was also a customer of ours. Salesman took contractor's order but supplied delivery info for company's receiving dept.

I'd show up, company would turn away delivery because they didn't place an order. Contractor would call up wanting to know why he didn't get his material, salesman would reissue the order with same delivery info, company would turn it away, and so on.

This happened several days in a row. Contractor was pissed, company was too. I didn't care because I got paid for the stop. Eventually one of the adults in charge realized the sales guy was a dip#### and resolved the issue.

Gearjammin' Penguin and misterG Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.