Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Second night in a row got sent on a pointless via on my way to the hub. I’m always sure to drop out the rear first thing before I go to dispatch. :D

misterG, McUzi, Mike2633 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Shadow

The Shadow Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    NC
    @Mike2633 I second this. I was that guy once. My current boss was in a different division of the company and “recruited” me over here because I worked for him at a previous job years before doing this type of work. I thought it was only because I knew the job and wouldn’t really need training. I was only partially right. The weird part was they kept not putting me in a truck. Kept saying “concentrate on the office part of the job and we’ll get around to it “. After about 6 weeks of twiddling my thumbs for half of the day I found out why. Owners sold the division I had been in. If they had waited, I would’ve been untouchable due to a non compete / no poaching agreement with the buyers. They literally hired me two months early just to make sure they got me while they could, without telling me until they got me a truck to drive two months after I started. The new owners integrated my old division into their existing company and are slowly bleeding it to death so I’m thankful while feeling like a pawn on a chessboard. What I learned from that experience:

1- your thinking is right. They know who they want before the open position is even announced.
    2- Unless you own the chess board, your a pawn. Even if it works out in your favor.

G13Tomcat, Mike2633, misterG and 3 others Thank this.
  4. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Easiest d/h ever. I loved getting the “your services are no longer needed “ when I got to NHC or PVD.

Digman943, misterG and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Thank you for that, will see what they say to my knowledge which isn't much I'm not an insider I don't think they made a decision, yet, but I could be wrong.

6. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Well everyone they made their big decision and I officially was passed over for management I wanna was/am not good enough and didn’t make the cut. Oh well not a big deal, life moves on.

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    In other words.... it’s not who you know, it’s who you blow. That about right? :rolleyes:

double_r, snowbird_89, misterG and 4 others Thank this.
  8. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Well Shadow, I didn't make it they told me today. It's alright, I told the boss, that I thought I did a bad job at the interview so I don't blame them for not hiring me. But whatever not the end of the world in 1980s Bruce Hornsby and The Range had an album probably his most famous called the way it is and there was a track on there called It's a Long Long Race, and the point is there is still a lot of road to ho so to speak and a lot can change and is going to change in 3-4 years managers tend to not stay in one place for to to long, and even drivers change jobs, and thing about real entry level management jobs is to me it seems like about now would be about the now or never point for me that 4-5 year marker. It seems like where I work and this is of course individual results varying, but once you get to that mid career level marker 10-15 years it's almost like if your not in management, by then you probably won't be, not because they won't take or consider you, but because at that point I think some of those guys have outgrown stuff like that.

I think in life priorities change over the years, like all of our hall of fame guys and heavy hitter senior guys, there not interested in management jobs like that they've out grown all that, there next move is long long race if I try I will surely finish.

Here's though the entire rub with this whole thing, if were just talking money, it's kind of an odd set up now I don't know how the company does management bonus structures that's above my pay grade, but I know from what I know, the routes I run now money wise, I actually come out ahead right now as a rank and file driver. Now the down side is I have to run a route everyday lol, but there was a guy at the beer company I worked at who was recruited for management and he turned them down, he said he didn't want to be trapped in that office all day.

Part of me think it's better just doing managements utility work and letting them sit in the office and deal with it all. I know didn't lose any money getting passed over.

9. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry, pal. Just wasn't in the cards yet. Stay safe, and well, in this weather.

FlaSwampRat and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    They were nice about it, they said try again next time, I don't know how interested I'll be next time, probably my next move is transit drivers core that seems possible with in the next 5 years I should think.

11. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Thanks Tom it's alright not the end of the world, part of me thinks this is probably for the best, not the first defeat I've ever had lol! They'll be many more times in life for me to lose haha!

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.