Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Thanks Tom it's alright not the end of the world, part of me thinks this is probably for the best, not the first defeat I've ever had lol! They'll be many more times in life for me to lose haha

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    You're not listening.

They want you, they just didn't think you were quite ready this time. So take what you learned from the first interview and work on your weak points. Look if you go to management and hate it, you can ALWAYS be a driver. But you never know, you might be a great manager. (you certainly have an eye for detail).

4. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    The big problem is I'm not good with pushy sales people pushing for stuff that really can't be done, and yeah I was weak, I gave in my opinion a lousy interview.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. Riffraff37

Riffraff37 Bobtail Member

May 5, 2019
    Well, managed to score an interview tomorrow for a.company that needs a line driver.
    Not as cake as my last line job cause I do have to unload my truck and then bump a dock and get loaded.
    But it's a fixed rate (good and bad) and guaranteed 830am start time sunday-thursday with a dedicated route. Happens to actually be the same route I drove for my last gig.
    Won't haul.anything over 10k so I'll only be hauling pups or a box truck.

6. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    US Foods has that same problem. They have a position called "Lead Driver" that pays mid 30s per hour, 50-60 hours a week. The job is mostly just sitting around the office, being available as a first point of contact for any driver that needs info about a particular customer or has a problem, and helping out with anything and everything that comes up during the day. The whole point is to groom them for a Transportation Supervisor position. But that "promotion" would result in a $40-60k per year pay cut because of the switch from hourly to salaried.

7. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    People outside the industry ask me why I don't try to go into management.

I just laugh.

8. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Same.

9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Trucking is one of the few industries where the main work force tend to make more money than low to mid level management. Generally you gotta hit terminal manager level to out earn drivers.

LoneCowboy, misterG, Cardfan89 and 5 others Thank this.
  10. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    US Foods Lead Driver is the same as GFS Assistant Transport Manager same job different name. Pretty much exactly the same.

The guy they picked was the gentleman who had gone through the companies management training program a couple years ago, not a requirement, but it helps, so it pretty much worked out like I thought.

Oh well life goes on.

11. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    So I was watching a video on the Bakken Oil Fields in Western North Dakota and the economic boom that's been taking place there for the past decade and, it's interesting, you know forget the oil field it's self, think of all the jobs around that.

All the "man camps", bars and grills, restaurants and stores and infrastructure all those places need food and supplies just the trucking jobs unrelated to direct oil filed work are plentiful, Williston, North Dakota said they can't keep people at there service department they need garbage collectors, street sweepers, and snow plow drivers on and on and can't find people to fill those jobs, but like McDonald's, all the man camps and lodges housing guys all those places need food, if you were a Sysco or US Foods out there, you would be blowing up with business right now supplying all those places. That's what I would do if I was going to go up to the oil fields, I would be more prone to wanting to do the work that supplies the oil field like delivering food and things like that, because those camps and lodges and truck stops they make meals 24/7 around the clock.

They interviewed the truck stop manager and they said they added tire chains, coats, rain gear stuff like that and said when it rains coats and rain gear fly off the shelf. It was just interesting to see one day I would like to go there to see it. Very cold I understand.

double_r, Cardfan89 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.