Random wear on my steer tires.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by T.J., Mar 27, 2013.

1. T.J.

T.J. Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2013
    I have a 2012 peterbilt 386. It has had 3 axel alignment within the year. Its mileage is about 180,000. I cannot get more than 50,000 miles on my steers. They develop random patches where the tread is low. The last two tires were really confusing. The passenger side tire has wear only in the middle groove and its wore out every 8 inches, then the tread comes back up to normal depth. The other had one spot from the outside in toward the middle. Just random spots! I dont lock my tires up. I dont drive on the shoulder. Whats up??? I haul 15,000 lbs of Isoweens in a livestock trailer. Someone said the steers might be bouncing while going down the road. I moved my 5th wheel plate up to add more weight to the steers to see if it helps and so far its still doing the same. Any thoughts?

chimbotano Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrianE

BrianE Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Livingston Texas
    Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

4. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    shackle bushings? my KW did the same thing but only the left steer had the shackle bushings done seems to have solved it,worth asking about

chimbotano Thanks this.
  5. pawpaw1

pawpaw1 Medium Load Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    I've heard the Pete's have odd front end components . You might need to have a Good shop check your kingpins , drag link , tie rod ends , as well as the rear axel stuff . ( front and rear axel bearing play , rear Dogbones , etc. if you get to the Atlanta area , I would recommend Atlanta Commercial Tire . Their guy checked my truck out , told me that until I replaced the items that were at the point of needing replacement , it would be a waste of money to have another alignment done. My Dogbones were my only critical item , had them done , gonna get the rest as time and money allow. And , I have new Bridgestones all around , so I'm working on getting everything done ASAP.
    What Brand of tires you running ?
    If shocks are bad , check out Road King shocks , on the Internet . Pricey , but what a guarrentee !

chimbotano Thanks this.
  6. T.J.

T.J. Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Well we ran goodyears. They got wasted. Bridgestone is what were running now. Driving this thing it doesnt shake or pull. Were all scratching our heads on this one. I will snap some photos next time I am in the truck to show you what im talking about. I believe the shocks are ok. Thanks for the input everyone. I will look around at said components.

7. T.J.

T.J. Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Also I keep my tires inflated to about 100 psi. I never pull 80,000 lbs with this truck. I hoped that might help them wear more evenly since im basically empty. Oh also, my trips are empty half the time. I haul my piggies to the farm and return empty. Truck runs 75 mph down the interstate. If any of this matters.

8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Random patches are usually a sign of bad shocks. All it takes is one good bump to bust the seal in them cheap factory ones. My 2009 Pete it was about one year I had to change the shocks.

9. bigstank

bigstank Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    missouri
    Check the rims, there's a possibility the rims could be slightly bent or outta round that would cause this, my 379 did the samething till I got mad and changed everything just to find out it had a bent rim. You know how crappy these roads n highways get.

10. ost1

ost1 Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2013
    where is the tow set? don't let them tell you zero is good. you should be 1/8" towed in. also if the wheel base is long you may need to get some weight on the front axle if it is light all the time your not getting consistent road contact.

11. TwinStickPeterbilt

TwinStickPeterbilt Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    As for your shocks, if their bad they'll look like they're leaking. And when you push them together easily and they don't or don't fully extend pretty quickly you know they're shot. A good 1/2 impact will knock those shocks right loose. 2 bolts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.