Ratchet Straps and Tarps for a 40' trailer, what do I need?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Miroh, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Hello again! I'm new to flatbed. I've driven a dry van for a bit so my experience is little. These should be in reference to a 35ish to 40 foot trailer. Alright so I've ordered a few straps and I do know I need more but didn't want to buy a ton and find out i needed different. How long is a good length to go for? I purchased (6) 2in x 30ft and (2) 3in x30ft straps with the flat hook. The 3 inch ones i think were a bit much but I didn't know. So, is 30 feet a good length to obtain? Would the flat hook or curved hook be better? I have several smaller ones that I keep for personal use but their length might be 15 or so feet.

Also, tarps.Someone awhile back suggested this tarp in a general conversation but I don't think its waterproof or am I missing something? What would you suggest? Again, this is in reference to a 35ish but more than likely 40 foot trailer that I have yet to purchase.

Thanks again!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Most stuff should have 4 inch straps not 3s and definitely not 2s. One strap for every ten foot of trailer and then a couple extras.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    And this is the bare minimum.

5. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Oh really? Wow, glad I asked. Thanks for the info.

Alrighty then! I will get wider ones lol! Thanks! So, is 30 feet long good enough though? Man, these are expensive.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  6. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    Most of the 3" straps are rated at 5400#'s just like the 4" straps, but you're probably better off going with the 4". 30' is good for most things as long as you're using a regular flatbed and not running overheight. If you're using a stepdeck you could run into a situation where they need to be longer.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  7. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Sounds to me like he's setting up to run a hotshot. 35ish to 40' trailer is what was said. 2" straps are perfectly fine for running lighter loads if this is the case. Still have a WLL of 3335lbs. Those 2" & 3"ers you've already got @ 30' long are a good start. Personally, I got slide track with 10 sliding winches & 4"x30' straps to match. They cover 98% of the loads I run. My trailer has a 33" deck height. Grab two 40' straps just in case & throw them in your gear box. Used mine once in 5yrs..

Spend your next dollars on chain & boomer. (get the sliding winches & straps when you order your trailer) Again if a hotshot setup, g70 5/16" is usually enough. 4700lb WLL. I've got 6 @ 20' long & 6 boomers to match. If your getting a big rig I'd go at least 3/8" & probably 8-10 quantity with booms to match. Not sure on the length though.

unklphil Thanks this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Some other stuff u could get is v boards and some edge protectors for chains and straps... Always take more straps than u think u need... Its one of those things where if u barely have enough then they will get cut but if u take extras then they wont ever get cut lol same thing with chains, always carry extra hooks and cotter pins and silicon lube and/or grease to keep ur binders in good shape,

singlescrewshaker and Lite bug Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    4 inchers. Do not waste your time with the little tiny 2's and 3's

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    So, any suggestions for a tarp?

11. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    You bought the right straps. We run 2” x 30’ with flat hooks here. You want to carry at least 12 of them though.

As for tarps, here’s a link.

Lumber Tarps for Flatbed Trucking | Mytee Products

unklphil and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.