Rate comparison between own authority and Landstar

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Preacher Man, Aug 8, 2015.

1. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    Heres a thought... Get your own authority, if it dont work out. Go back to LS. Its that simple.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Anytime she pops up, the thread always goes sideways...

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  4. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    You can walk down a trail in the dark and hope you dont fall off a cliff, or turn on a flashlight. I like flashlights. Point is, we are moving towards our own authority, but taking it one step at a time.

LampkinOO Thanks this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I would caution you as to going out on your own at this time. 2015 is much slower than 2014 was. There is still plenty of work to be had, but right now the work is going to the carriers who have established, good business relationships with customers. It would be difficult to find good paying work as the new guy right now. Basicly, the supply of trucks is about equal to the demand of loads.

6. Preacher Man

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    I guess I do things backwards since I started this business while the economy was still in the dumps. My reasons for going out on my own have more to do with who controls my business than chasing dollars. I know freight is tight, but I also know that just running load boards there is enough of what we look for to keep us profitable and busy. We have a niche market that we serve. Some unexpected expense and downtime have pushed our timetable back a bit, but not stopped us.

One thing I have learned is that if your margins are so tight that down turns in business will put you out of business, you are already in trouble. Every aspect of the economy is cyclical and you have to be able to handle it if you plan on staying in business long term. I have noticed that freight really tightened up this year, but we have still been able to find what we are looking for. After all I just need one load that comes close, I don't need the perfect load every time.

againstthewind Thanks this.
  7. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    For what its worth, I've had my authority since June of 2014. Really hit the ground running and did well. My rates were much better than the contracts that were had with a lot of the carriers I was getting the loads from. Since then things have softened considerably with not only rates but the load/truck ratio. Not seeing as many of the loads on the boards that I did this time last year except for the same old $1.20/mile specials which I think have dropped down around.95/mile. Normally I would encourage the move but just proceed cautiously like you are doing.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  8. Preacher Man

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    I notice on our BOLs that a lot of our loads are actually rebrokered from carriers that would evidently rather rebroker them, than try to cover it themselves. This tells me that in addition to working load boards, we may want to develop relationships with the broker arm of large carriers. We are simply looking for about 4-5 loads a week, that are small enough that one agent told my wife yesterday he doesn't even bother posting them, since no one wants them. Of course the rate per mile has to be worth it. Our filters are set up so that we don't even see anything less than $2.00 a mile. What we are doing isn't a big secret, Landstar even did one of their webinars and talked about how you can make money this way.

It's just that it's a lot of work and you pretty much have to do it as a 2 man/woman team. I couldn't do this until my wife quite her outside job and took over the office end of things. Yesterday was a prime example of the work it takes to keep rolling. In addition to all the loads that were still on the board, but were already booked, she had 3 loads that she booked and the agent called back to say it cancelled. Finally, near the close of business she got a load for Monday into Tuesday. If she hadn't been able to concentrate on finding a load, I would have lost Monday.

9. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I found out earlier in the game to start right with the bigger carriers brokerage. Many of the better loads out there originate with them and trickle down to the bargain basement brokers. Just have to beat them to it.

10. Preacher Man

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    We also learned quickly about building relationships. My wife is great at dealing with the agents, even when they tick her off to the point she wants to spit nails, she just smiles through the phone. The agent that made us mad this time, might turn into one of our best sources of freight. They also appreciate the fact that there are only 2 reasons we would ever cancel a load. If we breakdown, or if the consignee on our current load decides to take all day. If a load cancels, we just deadhead to the next load and eat the loss. Knock on wood we have not had to cancel any loads we book. I do sit a lot, because we build in plenty of extra time for reasonable delays at the customer and traffic. When you consistently arrive at customers an hour early it doesn't take long to get noticed as someone that can be counted on.

11. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    This is the key right here to a profitable one truck business.... You are blessed brother to have your wife interested in helping you out...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.