Rates for loads in Canada and going across the border?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Oso, Apr 22, 2019.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Canada is heavy but not always...
    Big triangle = on or ny or pa to ab/bc to west coast USA back to on. I can often combine a lot of work from different customers so it works out well for me.

What province are you in and what kind of work you looking to do? So perhaps I can give you a not so vague answer....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    I'm in the GTA. There's a part of me that never wants to truck in the US again - but I also understand the idea of being profitable. ....and versatile.

4. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    When I was doing power only contracting, my boss would lose his #### when it was a Tridem Trailer. Fully loaded Tandem, to Fully Loaded Tridem $100bux more. Totally not worth it. My current company won't even touch Tridem vans, cause the rates are #### for the weight.

Canada is heavier 90% of the time, from the same shippers VS US loads from the same shippers. In my experience.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  5. haider99

haider99 Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Well, I have been doing Toronto to Quebec for most of the past 2 years. Lost my well paying load this year due to Insurance and now going back into U.S. As soon as I build the courage to plug in that ELD.

If you do what I do, this the problem you will face. There is very little freight outside of Montreal and a round trip to Montreal is around 700 miles. You will be doing 3 trips a week (2100 miles/week) because when you come back, say Monday, that load will need to be delivered on a Tuesday (maybe morning) You will be wasting a lot more time between delivery and pick up and also will be sleeping a lot. Also, note that ELD is coming into Canada as of 2020. So unless you have someone to do the local deliveries for cheap, I would say max out your daily hours and run into U.S.

There is a lot more of Tridem loads coming out of Montreal. Montreal is not a friendly place to visit, partially because of the language barrier and the rates are bad.

You will be lucky if you get $1500 on a round trip these days.

6. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    What about runs to the Maritimes?

7. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Get paid decent to go there than it's mostly junk for outbound. The triangle for that area is on to nb/ns/etc to east coast USA back to Ontario. I've never actually done it. Don't want to do anything new.

8. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    What about reefer loads? Fish? Potatoes?

9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Everything that comes down to New England/New York is all tri-axle trailers these days..........

Stay away....

10. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Dio you mean permitted tridem loads? I thought those were NY Thru-way only. Otherwise the legal gross is 80k (as you know. )

11. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Doesn't matter, the inbound far outweighs the outbound. There are fish loads but you have to know who to call as well as be prepared with a 500k cargo limit. You can make good money on all 3 legs of it but don't count on it.

Again I don't want to do anything new.

I suppose some people don't realize all they need to do is quit buying anything made in Canada. And also the trucks coming in more often buy something some american produced and takes it home to sell to Canadians.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.