Reaching the moon

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by dltdamien, Jun 7, 2023.

1. dltdamien

dltdamien Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    So I've been wondering how I can reach out more with my radio and make more contacts. I want to understand the formula for increasing range. I know antenna set up plays the most important role but what about watts? Does more watts really mean more range and if so theoretically what's the most potential I can get on a mobile? Obviously i know i cant get the same from a base on a mobile set up. What if I don't want to run a Amp is it worth going from a 60 watt radio to a 100+ watt radio? I've been able to reach out a couple times on skip but reports back say I'm real quiet and low signal. Local I get great reports saying I'm crystal clear and good audio from base stations confirmed 40+ miles out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GGALLIN1776

GGALLIN1776 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2023
    You'd be surprised with mobile, back around the last sun peak I made contacts with Jamaica, somewhere in the South Pacific, Northern Alberta...all from southern New England parked in my Blazer. I would add P.R. but they're always blasting channel 9 & I'm not going to talk on there unless it's an emergency....even if no one is listening

That spot was good for long range but I couldn't talk to anyone in state, still is rather difficult. When I lived another 900' up in elevation, a bit easier.

Around a month ago I was getting confirmation from OK, SC & TX right before a thunderstorm. Great skip that day, then I realized my mobile turned base with a 102" was cooking at 5+ swr & had to stop. Got loud & clear reports regardless, that was a 200w radio.

Just think of watts like you would with your stereo, more watts means louder. You'll hurt some ears nearby & you'll be heard further away.

Personally I'd go with as much as you can afford. If I had the cash for what those guys around the LA swamps & AL are pushing (hear em on 6, 11 & 15 from dawn til dusk), that would be fun.

dltdamien Thanks this.
  4. dltdamien

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    Okay this explains alot. I went from wanting a regular old cb to catching "the bug" for more power after making some contacts from the west side to out east. I plan on putting a radio in my personal truck just figuring out the logistics in antenna size and location. Been looking at the stryker radios are these worth the price? Do they pair well with amps if I decide to run a Amp down the line?

5. dltdamien

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    I hear the guys from the swamp day in and out clearer than most guys right next to me in WA and OR.

6. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    To me band conditions are most important for long distance communication, with the antenna system being second. What radio are you using? If your reaching out 40 miles to a base station, I would say your radio setup is about as good as it gets on the CB band. The formula for really increasing your range on the 11 meters band, is to get a ham license. Ha.

7. GGALLIN1776

GGALLIN1776 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2023
    All depends on what the amp can take input wise. Pretty sure my amp can only take 10w max but puts out 500.

I've seen some nice strykers, as for the price point depends on what you have to burn. I went with a used dx55hp galaxy but it's still missing features that I want like ssb & channel scan, that with no built in swr meter or adjustment which is annoying.

If you're gonna go for a big boy, make a list of all the possible features which you'd want then narrow it down by those that have them all.

Sometimes it seems like an arm & a leg for one more option but looking up the corresponding external unit to add on instead, that's often twice the price.

Once you have the model squared away, then find an amp suited to what you want. You can either get one that will handle whatever the radio will throw at it or have the radio tuned to the amp.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.