Ready to apply to a company program. But which one?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Coriolanus, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wilson is dry van.
    Does have some refrigerated out of Springfield, MO
    If you go to Wilson, specify you want dry van.

Coriolanus Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    No, but despite some of the whiners reefer isn't as bad as it used to be with a good outfit. Wilson does pay you detention after 2 hours, and due to running a large freight network most of the time you are in and out of shippers/receivers quicker than smaller outfits or independents. Live produce can be a longer wait, but you're getting paid for it. You also have the advantage of refrigerated freight always moving, while dry van can be limited.

Coriolanus Thanks this.
  4. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Dry is only for their PNW guys, if you're OTR you'll be PRIME.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Maybe the policy has changed, he better call and clear that up.

6. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Coriolanus Thanks this.
  7. Coriolanus

Coriolanus Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2021
    Mordor, USA
    Thanks for the responses guys.

My first inclination is to do dry van or reefer. Next would be tanker, but not necessarily Hazmat. I'm sure they don't put newbies in Hazmat anyway.

Yes, I would like APU, inverter and fridge. I tend to cook my own little meals in the microwave.

Driver facing cameras are a big no-no for me. But I have heard/seen that many companies are moving this way. Don't know how true that is.

Yes, I found out about Schugel and Decker through watching YouTube channels.

I will be staying in NYC for the first year because I can save more money that way. But then I will move to a new location somewhere down south or out west.

I will take a look at Kreilkamp.

Do you have to run teams for long with Wilson? I prefer solo. Always have. I don't mind if it's just for training.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You can get a legal address in Florida or Texas by joining Escapees RV Club.
    Several drivers on this forum have done that for two reasons; warm climate and no state income taxes withheld out of your paychecks.
    Also has an excellent mail service.
    Escapees RV Club (Home) · Freedom Driven
    Escapees RV Club (Home) · Freedom Driven
    The Escapees RV Club is one of the oldest, largest and most loved RV membership organizations in the world. We provide a total support network for all RVers, regardless of their travel style, type of RV, or experience level. Escapees are united by our shared love of travel and exploration.
    [​IMG]

Coriolanus Thanks this.
  9. Coriolanus

Coriolanus Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2021
    Mordor, USA
    Is it harder to get into company training from NYC? Is getting a virtual address recommended before I even apply to a program?

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No, NYC is just fine.
    I mentioned Escapees because you said you might move to a warmer climate. You don't have to actually move now, but can join and take advantage of "No personal state income taxes."
    ~
    Texas, Florida and South Dakota are popular for truckers through EscapeesRV Club.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Coriolanus Thanks this.
  11. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Knight was on your list, I went through their company school, at that time it was in Phoenix, and only open for students that lived in CA, NV, or AZ. Good luck and keep us undated with your career.

Coriolanus Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.