Real cost of Roehl Training

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Phantom Driver, Aug 17, 2012.

  1. Phantom Driver

    Phantom Driver Light Load Member

    Aug 15, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I have read discussions on multiple threads concerning what it costs to attend training with Roehl. I didnt see where this had been posted in its own thread before so I figured as a newbie coming in I would post the true cost of traing...for me anyway.

    I want to make clear I am coming into this career with NO DRIVING experience and NO CDL. If someone else can post about the costs of coming in with a CDL fresh out of an independent school and someone coming in with a CDL but without recent driving experience then this topic would be well covered here. If you do a one year contract with Roehl they will finance the majority of your class cost, as long as your credit score is 500 or better. Trust me my credit sucks right now and it was well over 500 still.

    I will try to give an accurate time line of the process and other pertinent information as well.....So...

    I applied to Roehl July 20th, I was contacted by my assigned recruiter on July 24th. I was set up for my DOT physical which Roehl pays for, and completed that on July 27th.

    Now this is where I start calculating expenses....

    I took my test for my CDL Learners through Virginia DMV, the test is around 120 questions which includes the General knowledge and all endorsements. The CDL Learners here in Virginia is only $3.00 regardless of how many endorsements you include. If you do the Hazmat the cost is around $85.00 for the background check and requires being fingerprinted. I took my Hazmat test and passed it but I am holding off on this as Roehl does not require Hazmat, it takes 45 days for the background check to be completed.

    The next cost to deal with is the $185.00 to cover class registration ($100.00) and road test ($85.00). Roehl will let you wait till about a week before your scheduled class start to pay this.

    I decied to drive to Marshfield, WI. from my home in Richmond, VA. wich according to my Streets & Trips will cost me approximately $150.00 in gas. I am also staying at a hotel overnight as I dont want to try the 18+ hour drive at one time so add $65.00 for the overnight hotel room.

    You have to pay $400.00 on your first day of class to cover the hotel room for the duration of your three weeks of training.

    My packet from Roehl mentions obtaining your TWIC card within the first 4-5 months of employment, I have heard you will hardly use it which sucks because it will set you back about $130.00. You need a TWIC card to pick up and deliver to ports.

    I start RDTC September 24th, I will update any addittional costs as they occur such as meals and any other incidentals that come up. At this point up to the first day of class I will spend $888.00, I am not including the cost of the TWIC card at this time.

    I hope this is useful and anyone that can add to this please feel free to.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. RickG

    RickG Road Train Member

    Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Any decent carrier will reimburse you for the costs of hazmat , TWIC , and passport . Carriers with a high turnover won't do this . They consider it expense that newbies should bear .
    Phantom Driver Thanks this.
  4. Phantom Driver

    Phantom Driver Light Load Member

    Aug 15, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I forgot to mention the Passport cost as Roehl does require you to have one prior to training. I got the Passport card two years ago for $55.00, its less than the booklet which costs $135.00 and its all you need for crossing into Canada.

    Not too sure about Roehl reimbursing you for TWIC, I would bet they would not for Passport or Hazmat but if I am wrong feel free to correct me.
  5. silenteagle

    silenteagle Road Train Member

    Oct 23, 2011
    Ozark, MO
    Carriers that cover TWIC et:al do not usually train new drivers. training companies that train newbies let the newbie get their own credentials. Some will wait till you are making money, some might even give you some sort of credit to pay back a little at a time till paid. Some front load, some back load the costs. His calculations are about right. I went to Prime, where hotel and food the 1st week was paid, as were the physical and permit tests. I had my passport already, but Prime requiers you to get one at your own expense. Same for TWIC, Hazmat, FAST card, and truck equipment such as GPS, fridge, load locks, snow chains, and tools. I also put a microwave, george foreman grille, and Keurig coffee maker.
  6. Moriarti

    Moriarti Medium Load Member

    Jan 15, 2007
    NW Indiana
    FYI, no. Roehl will not reimburse for the TWIC, either. From their pov, if you leave, you get to take it with you, ergo. it's yours. you buy it. But, they will advance you the funds to pay for it, and do a payroll deduction to reimburse themselves.
    Phantom Driver Thanks this.
  7. TexasPhoenix

    TexasPhoenix Medium Load Member

    Jul 16, 2009
    Check on the TWIC material once you get there. You might end up on the docks if you are running refrigerated. Haven't heard any van drivers say they are needing their TWIC card. Hazmat yes and passport.
  8. T-Lady

    T-Lady Medium Load Member

    Feb 20, 2012
    Wautoma, WI
    I haul dry van and have no TWIC...the passport does NOT have to be in hand before starting can apply and get it after you pass the class and are hired on. There is leeway on this, I know because I was the only one of 6 in my class that had a passport card. No worries there. Roehl does NOT require hazmat. I don't have it, have no intent of getting it. They would LIKE drivers to have it, but realistically, Roehl isn't a big hazmat carrier...they give a short session during RDTC to certify drivers to carry small amounts of hazmat material, which doesn't require the endorsement.
  9. Mic

    Mic Road Train Member

    Jun 8, 2011
    You really don't need a TWIC for van or far as don't really HAVE to have one.....I knew several drivers that didn't....but it affects your bonus........I got the card and used it a lot with Roehl going in and out of Canada...haven't used it since......and you don't need Hazmat either....(but it is nice to have just in case)....
  10. childerscarl1

    childerscarl1 Medium Load Member

    Nov 11, 2009
    Don't get a twic, if you are sent to a port of entry and have no twic one of
    Two things will happen. Roehl will pay a fee for you to enter, like a day pass
    Or you will be escorted in by the port get loaded or unloaded and escorted out.
  11. JACC0811

    JACC0811 Light Load Member

    Jun 12, 2010
    Dayton, OH
    Sorry for the hijack, but a quick question. How many port escorts has anyone run into that charge a fee? I had to go to one in Morehead City, NC for CRE and was charged $35.00 to drop an empty reefer trailer.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted