Real cost of Roehl Training

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Phantom Driver, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Phantom Driver

Phantom Driver Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Just an update, I will be paying my fees tomorrow ($185 testing and Application fee + 400 for hotel). They will actually allow you to pay the entire thing ahead of time if you prefer instead of paying for room on your first day....I decided to get it all out the way. I will be heading up this Saturday and stopping overnight in Indy before arriving in Marshfield on Sunday. I will be going into the flatbed division.

Hope to see some of you guys on the road here soon! I appreciate all of the information and feedback I have seen on this forum, it has been a real big help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tablefor7

tablefor7 Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Columbus, Georgia
    OK wait...lemme get this straight....they *charge* you for your room, application and tests??? That's the first I've heard of anyone doing this. No other company, or anyone on any of these forum's that I've read, have mentioned having to pay for a room, application or tests....breakfast and dinner? Yes. Additional personal expenses? Yes. But not the other. Am I missing something?? :biggrin_25521:

4. BIGLEE500

BIGLEE500 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    They charge you for your room if you go to there driving school (rdtc) in marshfield, 400 dollars for 3 weeks , roehl pays for your room when you come for orientation

tablefor7 Thanks this.
  5. Treefork

Treefork Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    This is only for people who don't have CDL's yet and are going through Roehls school to get licensed.

tablefor7 Thanks this.
  6. tablefor7

Aug 2, 2012
    Columbus, Georgia
    Ok, the clarification is much appreciated! LOL I went into panic mode! LOL

7. Phantom Driver

Phantom Driver Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Sorry about the confusion, I do not have my CDL yet so I am attending RDTC to obtain mine....in my opinion after doing my research I felt it was worth the additional costs to attend Roehl's program as opposed to some of the others I have read about.

8. brooklyn50

brooklyn50 Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Maryland
    As a former Roehl DTC graduate, and driver, please know that your mileage opportunities aren't as good as you might've anticipated. There are a nice bunch of people, there, no doubt. Drive according to their policies, stay 'clean,' and you'll enjoy yourself. However, permit me to recommend 'using' Roehl as a training ground for about 1 year, than resituate yourself with another carrier.

Food for thought.

9. tablefor7

Aug 2, 2012
    Columbus, Georgia

10. skyviper73

skyviper73 Heavy Load Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Centennial, CO
    I've been with Roehl off and on since 2006 and I run Van National. I get between 2400 and 3200 miles per week. I don't know what else a driver could want. I'm home every other weekend for 3+ days, and I get all the miles I want. Sometimes, after running hard for a few days, it's nice to have a slow day to recover. There is a ton of freight in the midwest and east. We don't run west as much as we used to, because shippers are putting their freight on trains. That doesn't mean the miles aren't there. In the past week my trips have been, including deadhead miles, 1654, 977, 502, and 383. That's last Friday until today, Thursday. I'm sitting waiting to pickup a preloaded trailer to run 1008 miles, tomorrow morning.

There are a few simple tricks to getting miles.

1) Always "push your loads". That means communicate with the shipper, consignee, and your FM. If you can pick up early, do it. If you can deliver early, do it. Sometimes you aren't supposed to contact the customer directly, in that case, call customer service and have them call for you. No excuses. Don't sit unless you have no other option.

2) Do good trip planning. As a professional driver, your FM depends on you as the final authority on if you can run the load and deliver it on time. The planners do their best not to send you a load assignment that you can't do with the hours you have, but they are in an office staring at numbers on a computer. Computers can and are wrong sometimes. In short, NEVER BE LATE! I have made over 1050 deliveries for Roehl and I have had NO SERVICE FAILURES. 100% on time. I know this because Roehl keeps a driver score card you can see every month. The planners reward dependable drivers with the miles to earn a good living. They don't want good drivers jumping ship to another company.

3) Work with your FM. There will be days he/she is having a hard day with one or more of the other 45 drivers they manage. Be understanding and respectful. You want your FM to be your partner in the office.

4) There will be days that it seems like you aren't really doing anything productive. For example, last Monday I dragged 4 trailers from Loveland, CO to the railyard in Denver. I was a little frustrated, but in the end, I got paid about $165 for all the running around, and the next morning I had a load lined up going to Burnsville, MN for a Thursday morning delivery. That was a 900+ miles load. Easy money. What I'm saying is that is you do the crap work with out complaining, you are seen as a good driver and thanked with a good load. Now, don't get pushed around and treated like a ##### driver, but understand that you will have days when you will be doing chores for the company. As you get experience, you will learn and see where to draw the line and speak up you FM about getting moving with a real load.

5) Remember, Roehl has 1500+ drivers. Doing the right thing and driving "The Roehl Way", not costing the company money (this means doing good pre-trips and driving the truck like it's your own, can prevent alot of expenses), and providing good customer service by being on time and being respectful of our customers. Doing these things are rewarded with good miles.

11. Treefork

Treefork Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    Very well said and informative. A+. The only thing I would change instead of off and on, is you were off and on and off and on and off and on. :)

skyviper73 and tablefor7 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.