Real wifi for the truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by 88 series vet, Feb 24, 2019.

1. 88 series vet

88 series vet Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2015
    rock hill sc
    Looking into options for real wifi for the truck. Not talking about hotspot service though phone companies. Iam talking about external antenna or some sort of box. Like how you see rvs with a stand alone wifi or the newer cars with built in wifi. Any ideas on good companies that offer this for trucks?

feldsforever Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You can't have standalone wifi without some sort of of service contract with someone who has local internet access. RV people are connecting because the office has internet access and relays it out to the parking area via wifi relay system that the RV customer connects to.

You'll have to use your phone or a dedicated hotspot device (basically works as a phone would)

Now, you can buy "wifi radios and antennas" that will boost weaker wifi signals that might be available nearby but still, there has to be an "internet connected wifi source" nearby that allows client connections.

4. 88 series vet

Feb 28, 2015
    rock hill sc
    I know about the service, but more or less a company that specializes in this type of mobile wifi over the typical hotspot cell service companies

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    88 series vet Thanks this.
  6. 88 series vet

Feb 28, 2015
    rock hill sc
    Thank you, i clicked the link and looks like alot of good info. I got ke some reading too do sir

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Those RVs and cars use the cellular network for data. Aka a hotspot. Then uses WiFi to connect to that for the shared connection.

Anyone you use will either be a direct satellite connection or use one of the big cel phone companies towers.

I.e. the benefits you get will be pricing and service. Reliability will be the same as whoever owns the towers.

Satellite is expensive and has very high latency.

What are you trying to accomplish? Just tired of price and lack of reliability on your current connection? Wanting faster speeds?

88 series vet Thanks this.
  8. 88 series vet

Feb 28, 2015
    rock hill sc
    Well iam not too worried about cost as its a tax write off since am an owner op. Iam looking for consistency in speed for watching tv like Netflix, running my laptop for business, the tablet that my elog is on stuff like that. Basically i want a mobile system that is similar too whats found at home.
    I know i need too go though a company for service, but want the right one . I have seen like the bowl antennas that mount on top or behind the cab and you can plug in a sim or wireless card from the main provider's. Supposedly they can pull signal upto 4 miles away too find the best. But havent found anyone with experience using one.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    you won't find that speed in a situation where you are at different locations almost every day. Companies like Pilot and such use Sat connections, Mobile sat connections are really expensive which leaves you with 4g speed and that is still a problem. 5G speed is overly dependent on too many factors and is geared for urban environments.

10. 88 series vet

Feb 28, 2015
    rock hill sc
    Thats the same i been seeing as i googled around. And 5g is so new that it is limited too more urban cities. Thank you for the help

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.