Rear end collision on I-5 ends in fatality

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by MGE Dawn, Aug 8, 2020.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Sorry to hear that, you know, mjd usually posts these tragedies, and after so many, we lose fact that these are all someones loved one. Even the person doing the "killing". They don't plan to do it, it's just part of the world we live in. As long as humans are in control, there will be screwups, you can't have zero risk. You can have a ton of prevention, but when it's time to go, it's time, no matter how you get "there".

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Been a little busy the past couple of days (in the middle of a 2200 mile run from Massachusetts to Laredo,Texas). @MGE Dawn ,sorry to hear about your loss.

FerrissWheel, 201 and MGE Dawn Thank this.
  4. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Sorry for your loss.
    I used to drive a semi along there (would take the next exit) and, as it states in the article, at 7am, those traffic backups can appear very quickly. Look on google maps and you can see quite a bit of merging on, exiting off in that area (exit 1D to 1A are the last Washington exits southbound before the bridge into Portland). There is some amount of lane cutting, but there is also some amount of signalling to get over and not getting an opening until the last second. There is a fairly busy merge from the right just before that exit.
    It may have been all on the semi driver, but I would have to have been right there when it happened to say for sure.

Bud A. and MGE Dawn Thank this.
  5. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Yeah, that pretty well sums it up. BTW, this is my home town we're talking about :cool:

Bud A. Thanks this.
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    This is one of my pet peeves when driving. Many people can't just pass and go on thier way when they are driving. They seem to think they need to slow down, hang out next to you and maybe start flashing thier high beams to get your attention. Especially on the west coast.

Maybe the truck did a bonehead manuver and pissed someone off. But, driving a lot on the west side I know how afraid 4-wheelers can be. They often run up into your blind spot and start flashing thier high beams waiting for you to give them a wave that it's ok to pass.

I can't be the only one to notice. ID and OR are the worst.

MGE Dawn, mjd4277 and Bud A. Thank this.
  7. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Happens a lot in the east as well,especially in Virginia, Pennsylvania & Tennessee.

MGE Dawn and skellr Thank this.
  8. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    I'm sorry for your loss.

MGE Dawn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.