Rear Main Leaking

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by odfraire92, Oct 23, 2020.

1. odfraire92

odfraire92 Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2016
    I have a 2011 Prostar with a Cummins that has 1,185,000 miles with around 25,000 since I had an inframe done and a 10 speed transmission. 2 years ago I changed the rear main seal after it had been leaking for a few months. A couple of months later it started leaking again and got it replaced again (with a different mechanic). Was good for a few months and started leaking again. Been running like that for about a year now and getting ready to replace for the third time now. Any ideas why the seal keeps giving out? Or is it mechanic error? Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Measure crankshaft endplay.

Since the seal has been done many times, throughly inspect the housing and crankshaft for nics or burs/damage that may have resulted from the seal replacement.

Adding oil dye can help to pin point the leak further, say in case the oil is not actually coming from the crank seal, but from somewhere else inside the flywheel housing.

Dino soar and spsauerland Thank this.
  4. odfraire92

odfraire92 Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2016

Say there is nics or scratches would I be able to sand it down a little or have to replace more parts?

5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Depends on the severity of the damage. Tool groups to remove the seals use drilling and screws, so damage due to misuse is somewhat commonplace.

I have filled minor nicks with JB weld and finish sanded smooth with good results. The key is no high spots to cut or gouge the seal on install because you are literally pressing it in.

Takes attention to detail and patience, but can be done.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    From what I've seen, an incorrectly installed main seal usually starts leaking pretty quickly after install.

Excessive crankcase pressure can cause the front and rear mainseals to blow as well.

stillwurkin and spsauerland Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.