Rebuild, Good or bad deal?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by supergreatguy, Nov 28, 2020.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Boy, got me hanging, I've been out of the loop for 15 years. With as many KWhoppers that are around, a good deal should be no problem. In frame? Got to be $10 grand today. Reason I say KW, the W900 is the longest running truck model made, that says something.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

The compact gear train had less issues. But at a million miles they still need serviced on a rebuild.

4. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I agree

5. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    18k I think for my 97 w9 (1 owner 1 driver)
    15-20k can get you a very good base, 10-15 for a little bit rougher shape, I wouldn’t go much higher on price, you pretty much just buy the truck knowing you are putting a motor in it
    Ran for 7-8 months local
    10k in paint and 3k for a hood thanks to Bambi, couple grand for other stuff I had to take off to replace anyways (breathers, grill etc)
    $4k in brakes, drums, s cams/bushing, wheel seals bearings etc etc (all of it) plus fluid for every box
    Register for authority, ran for a year.
    $19k to inframe the n14.... cam boxes, acc drive, compressor, the usuals

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    No need to do an out of frame. Only reason would be to line bore the block. I’ve heard it’s recommended for a second overhaul, at about 2 mil plus miles. I really don’t know. Maybe for the high torque hard ran engines? Average Detroit, no need.

Dino soar and supergreatguy Thank this.
  7. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Can a DDEc 2 be upgraded to the better bull gear? Is doing a bull gear at 450k overkill if the front cover needs to be resealed anyway and will be off?

8. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    I’m not sure of your first question, but about the bull gear overkill: consider the money saved on labor/tow/secondary damage if you go ahead with it now. Peace of mind and early preventative part swapping is usually worth the money. When my front cover knocked I docked it at the shop and told them to just inframe along with entire front cover assembly and did all my pumps and air comp in the process. Nothing was wrong with the pumps. But then again, my freightliner is pretty cheap in parts.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t know, but if I remember correctly. I have heard on here somewhere, about a 12.7 with a compact gear. Supposedly it was made for a short while, near the end of 12.7 production.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.