Rebuilding my Rockwell front drive axale

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Thorxr10, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Thorxr10

Thorxr10 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Having the shop rebuild my power divider, I never take my truck to have it worked on I have a service truck and usually do the work my self in a dirt lot but this is no job for the dirt, anyways to get the whole remanufactured rebuild is only $200 more than just the power divider, my question is what is actually done to reman a drive axle set, do they actually replace gears with new? And just keep the base as in do they weld on new ring gears or clean them up, I want this to be done right.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    If posible, I would replace the entire unit. Most come with excellent warranties, and there would not be a problem as to who was responsible if the rear went out and damaged the power divider in a month.
    I have seen them with new gears,and remember. there is a difference between rebuilt / remanufactored in components.
    For 200 bucks more, swap the whole unit out.

4. Thorxr10

Aug 28, 2012
    It comes with a one year warranty and is remanufactured 100 miles from me, thx for responding

5. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    The ring and pinion is not welded in but bolted in. And must be calibrated to correct amount of slack. To much or to little, shame on the installer and might have trouble getting manufacture to warrenty if not installed correctly.

6. Thorxr10

Aug 28, 2012
    Thanks I'll make sure about that, I'm also going to make sure I get to. Look over all the parts before the Install, should have the parts Monday afternoon and install tuesday

7. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    $1200 is the normal rate for a reman forward rear with power divider. Then instillation labor is extra.

8. Thorxr10

Aug 28, 2012
    It's going to run me about 2500 all together parts ran about 1800

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.