Receiver refuse to unload truck.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 6wheeler, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    at east in my experience when a main line gets shut down due to a derailment there normally in a big hurry to get it back up and running. that was a case of a big cheese being a dick and trying to make a point. i really don't care i got paid well for it. i would hope he got a good ### chewing from his higher ups for that stunt thoguh

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I have been rejected at several Tyson feed mills. Union Mississippi has a 94k weight limit they would toss me daily so I got paid to haul it down to Bay Springs which is a peco mill. Funny every Tyson has a weight limit and they are all different. I guess I been asked to leave all of them at one time or another

4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Ok...We are hearing all these "feel good" stories on Rejected products going back and being well compensated for it...

Lets hear some Modest Honesty now....Who took a product somewhere and actually DID NOT get paid anything to Bring it Back or discard said product?........

I'll bet its happened a time or two(I know how some subpar carriers/brokers like to get down), Yet I should be hearing Crickets now.

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Okay, I'll 'fess up. One of our drivers picked up a load of lumber and never looked at the BOL...which he signed and verified as to dimension and number of units... after he was loaded.
    The shipper had put the wrong size boards on the truck. Luckily the customer was only forty miles away. He refused the load, the driver called me and told me what happened and why, and we hauled the load back to the shipper. For free.
    The shipper and the customer are both steady customers so I didn't see any point in making a fuss about it.
    The driver is a good guy and hadn't made that particular mistake before so I just chalked it yp to "lessons learned".

albert l, crb, Big Don and 2 others Thank this.
  6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Oookkk....You (As a Carrier) Maybe just Chalked it up (40 miles aint nothin' to keep a customer) But DID YOU PAY THE DRIVER for his time?? That's the Burning question.

Back in the 80's..There was a company in Chicago here called Gerardo Trucking (Jeff Gerardo) Who was Linked uyp with other goomba's in Long Beach,CA Called Mint Cartage.

They Burned so Many Divers and Owner-operators with Hauls Outta Chicago to Erie,Pa or Boston,Ma and said.. "We aren't paying you" and There was Nothing you did about it cause Nobody would ever Find your Rotting Corpse if you complained to officials...

Sad, But True story. Ask anyone that Knows They'll tell you the same. Lotta Drivers cried, And Did Nothing But pout. Eventually, They did Get Caught For their actions, Jeff Gerardo was sentenced to Prison and Mint Cartage quietly dissolved.

7. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    What is the background on the weight limit? Liability for not shipping an "over legal weight load" makes more sense to me than refusing to receive one- n therefore putting that overweight vehicle back on public roads...

Are the bins they are stocking it into too small?

I never ran a hopper so I'm unfamiliar with a situation like that one!

wore out Thanks this.
  8. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Grocery warehouse just east of Albany, NY sent me away one time because the trailer had 2 POs on it and only 1 had been scheduled for an appt that evening and the one that wasn't scheduled was on the tail. Had to wait till morning for dispatch to come in and get it straightened out, then wait for another 2000 appt that night.

But the cake had to be taken at Reinhardt Food Service in Coal Township, PA. I was being unloaded on the frozen side when this rackety claptrap of a truck and reefer backs in next to me. You know the kind, the name and DOT number are hand-scrawled in marker on the door, one of the stacks is bent, and the trailer has a HUGE gouge down the side that makes you wonder how it maintains room temp let alone anything close to 32 degs. He goes in, does the lumper thing, comes back out and sits in his truck. About 30 minutes later the lumper comes out and talks to the driver. I see the driver get out and they both mess with the reefer and are looking at the bills. Next thing you know the reefer kicks off (almost a story in itself...) After a bit more talking the lumper goes back inside and the driver is on the phone now. About 5 minutes later the lumper and 2 other guys come out, the lumper has this limp piece of dough about 8 inches long in his hand. They talk to the driver some more. After a bit of this the driver pulls forward, closes his doors and takes off. After I was done I went inside to get my paperwork and asked the lumper what was up. Turns out it was a full load of Subway bread dough. Came in to the port in NJ from somewhere and transloaded onto that guys truck. Dude never turned the reefer on. 2 days with it on his truck and the entire thing was 80+ degrees.

Can't blame the shipper on that one though...

rocknroll81, Big Don and Ruthless Thank this.
  9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    When I first started, I applied to a reefer outfit, (small) that had a written notice to drivers and potential drivers stating that in case of load refusal, IT WOULD BE UP TO THE DRIVER TO SELL THE LOAD, whatever it took. Even as green and dumb as I was back then, I walked away when I saw that!
    Company owned by a"Good Upstanding Mormon" father/son team...

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  10. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    Not really, although there are a lot of gray area's to this, the simplicity is the Receiver does not own a load until it's on there dock and and now the important part, THEY have to sign the bills releasing you from legal possession of the load. Legally that load is yours, you have legal possession of that load until released.

JReding Thanks this.
  11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Honestly brother I don't believe what they tell us but you hit it right on the head. They say the DOT is cracking down. Maybe out bound but not inbound.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.